What slate/tablet to use for Windows 8 Testing/Development

General discussion

• I'm current looking for a slate/tablet that works well with the Windows Developer Preview.
    Is there any recommendations on what brand and model to buy?

Price range from 0 to *

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:38 PM

All replies

• I don't have a recommendation, but look at the link below for the hardware that Windows Developer Preview was tested on in their labs.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/13/experiencing-windows-8-touch-on-windows-7-hardware.aspx

Marilyn
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:35 PM
  • At this point everything is under testing, there are several manufacturer's that working with Microsoft to make their product ready for Windows and features are keep improving and adding.

Most of PCs that are running Windows 7 would work fine in Windows 8, for others you should take a look at Windows 8 requirements and if they meet the requirements , then test them and see if they work or not.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:46 PM
  • I'm current looking for a slate/tablet that works well with the Windows Developer Preview.
    Is there any recommendations on what brand and model to buy?
    I have been quite happy with Acer W500. About $500.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:12 PM
  • I just picked up an Acer Iconia W500 as well.  I haven't had much time to experiment with it, but I first installed Windows 8 as an upgrade.  Everything seemed  to work OK.  I then tried the new Win8 reset feature to see how well it worked.  Since then, a lot of the Metro apps have become unstable or unusable.  I haven't had much of a chance to look into what's wrong yet.

But anyway, I picked the Iconia because it was cheap.  Samsung Series 7 tablets are more powerful but also more expensive.  The thing is that none of the Win7 tablets AFAIK have all the cool hardware that make tablets so useful such as GPS, gyroscope, accelerometer, etc. 

IOW, whatever you buy today isn't a 'real tablet' in the modern sense.  So consider whatever you buy now as a temporary stop-gap to be used for the next 6-12 months until 'real tablets' are released.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:11 PM
  • I would suggest that you buy a Samsung Series 7 as it is the closest tablet to the device that Microsoft gave to developers at the BUILD conference, as far as I know.
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 2:07 AM