none
How do I copy an existing project? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to create a new project based on an existing one without losing the original.

The original was written using Visual Basic Express.

As there is no 'copy project' option, what is the best way to do this?

Thanks for your help.

Peter

Peter Trueman

Friday, March 30, 2018 8:40 AM

Answers

All replies

• Copy the entire project folder to a new folder using Windows Explorer. Open the project in Visual Studio. Do a save as on the project and give it a new name. Under project properties change the "assembly namespace" and "default namespace" as needed.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Friday, March 30, 2018 11:44 AM
    Friday, March 30, 2018 9:14 AM
  • One method would be to make a backup of the existing project. Then open the existing project and the new project in Visual Studio.

You can then add necessary Forms in the new project and copy/paste controls and code as necessary from the opened old project to the opened new project.

I don't know from what you say if the new project needs everything the old project uses therefore if not perhaps this would be the best method.

La vida loca

Friday, March 30, 2018 10:58 AM
  • Copy the entire project folder to a new folder using Windows Explorer. Open the project in Visual Studio. Do a save as on the project and give it a new name. Under project properties change the "assembly namespace" and "default namespace" as needed.

This works well, but remember to manually change the 'ProjectGuid' field in the .vbproj file.

Convert between VB, C#, C++, & Java (http://www.tangiblesoftwaresolutions.com)
    Instant C# - VB to C# Converter
    Instant VB - C# to VB Converter

Friday, March 30, 2018 1:40 PM
  • Thanks!

Peter

Peter Trueman

• Marked as answer by PeterTrueman Friday, March 30, 2018 7:48 PM
    Friday, March 30, 2018 7:48 PM
  • Thanks!

Peter

Peter Trueman

I would highly recommend marking any replies that provided you with the solution to this question so that others who have a similar or same question know what reply solution this for you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Friday, March 30, 2018 8:35 PM
  • Thanks!

Peter

Peter Trueman

Well it would help if you marked the post that answered your question as the answer as others wanting this information will have no idea what answered your question. Marking yourself as the answer provides nothing for others to follow in this thread if they are searching for answers.

La vida loca

Saturday, March 31, 2018 12:08 AM