File Deletion in Sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am a new to sharepoint MOSS 2007.
    I am a SQLDB SQL2005 in a small company.
    The follwing issue came to my attention. The size of the content database "exploded" over the last two weeks.
    I have investigated the files of the content database. What I have found out is that some files have hundreds of versions!!
    These versions are created by an application that accesses the document libraries. Whenever a change to the document is applied, anew version is created.
    The versions have now been deleted via SharePoint incl emptying the Recycle bin. These file have a DeleteTransactionID.
    But it seems the files are still in the databse i.e. the files are not physicaly deletd.

How does MOSS handle the deletion? Is there a way to remove these files.

Thank you for your help,

Alex

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:49 AM

Answers

• Intially, I wouldn't recommended shrinking your database files each night because they shouldn't flux that must during the day and if your standard MOSS content growth should account for the increase in size over time.  If you have a huge amount of flux then maybe.  Also, check to make sure that Site Collection audits are not turned on because they will create a lot of space overhead if there is a lot of automated traffic against the site.

What type of space difference are we talking here?  Version history doesn't usually take up a lot of space...
    Eli
    Eli Van Eenwyk
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:56 AM
  • Hi bahlera,

Based on my research, the records were deleted in the database if you deleted the versioning items from the second stage recycle bin.

It is normal the physical database size is not reduced, because SharePoint uses Delete command but no Truncate command.

You could try to shrink the database manually to reduce the database size.

However, I agree with Eli, I wouldn't recommend you to shrink your database files each night if you have enough free disk space.

Hope the information can be helpful.

-lambert

Lambert Qin | Microsoft Online Support Engineer
    How to ask a question in the forum (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375)
    Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 8:59 AM

All replies

• A couple of things.

One is that you need to empty both levels of Recycle bins for them to disappear. (Both the user and the Administrator level)

Secondly it might well be more efficient to set up a new document library; move the files across (Explorer View to Explorer View) as this will only move the latest version across; and then delete the original document library.

--------------------

The original question (How does MOSS handle the deletion? Is there a way to remove these files.") is still open of course.

WSS FAQ sites: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com and http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 / MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:54 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Thank you for yor reply.
    Both recycle bins have been deleted.

It seems that this is a common issue, as I have come across it in several places on the internet.
    SP does not like to delete big amount of files number or size wise.
    I had a look at the site setup. What puzzled me that the site quota was set to 0MB. Does that mean that no quota is enforced?
    The second level recycle bin hat a threshold of 50% It looks that no files were deleted(physically). When I turned the second level recycle bin off.
    It started to delete some files, although at a very slow pace. 15min later it throws an exception"Unable to perform...".

Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:23 AM
  • Hi,

You should recheck to see what quota limit is applied to that site and make sure the quota limit was applied properly.

A few questions for you to get a clearer picture of the situation:

How much space does the storage space allocation report show that the site collection is using?  Is the database about this same size?  Are there other site collections in the database?  Did you perform a shrink on the database after deleting all of the content?  Depending on how you have your databases configured they will autogrow but not autoshrink.

That unfortunately doesn't address your question about the recycle bin, but hopefully it addresses how to get your database back down to size after deleting a bunch of data.

Hopefully that helps,

Sincerely,
    Karl
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 2:30 AM
  • Hi Karl,

Thank you for your tip.
    As mentioned above, the site has no quota set up so a report would not work.
    The file removal process when quite well.
    I have to wait with the shrinking until the MOSS techie gives the all clear. It seems there are few other things not so kosher(indexing etc....
    By default I shrink the database each evening, but I have to detach/attach the database to really reduce the sice.

Regards,

Alex
    Monday, June 22, 2009 5:12 AM
  • Intially, I wouldn't recommended shrinking your database files each night because they shouldn't flux that must during the day and if your standard MOSS content growth should account for the increase in size over time.  If you have a huge amount of flux then maybe.  Also, check to make sure that Site Collection audits are not turned on because they will create a lot of space overhead if there is a lot of automated traffic against the site.

What type of space difference are we talking here?  Version history doesn't usually take up a lot of space...
    Eli
    Eli Van Eenwyk
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:56 AM
  • Hi bahlera,

Based on my research, the records were deleted in the database if you deleted the versioning items from the second stage recycle bin.

It is normal the physical database size is not reduced, because SharePoint uses Delete command but no Truncate command.

You could try to shrink the database manually to reduce the database size.

However, I agree with Eli, I wouldn't recommend you to shrink your database files each night if you have enough free disk space.

Hope the information can be helpful.

-lambert

Lambert Qin | Microsoft Online Support Engineer
    How to ask a question in the forum (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375)
    Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 8:59 AM