none
VSTS CI CD implementation for Azure SQL datawarehouse RRS feed

• Question

• Hello team,

We have used the SSDT DACPAC feature of Azure SQL datawarehouse as seen below:

The solution/project is building at local VS 2017 but when trying to implement CI similar to azure SQL database

I am getting the below error:

So do I need to add additional steps prior to build or currently implementation of CI for Azure data warehouse via dacpac is not yet possible.

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 6:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Nandan,

Have you enrolled in the preview offering for Azure SQL Database support in SQL Server Data Tool (SSDT) in Visual Studio?

Azure SQL Data Warehouse provides frictionless development using SQL Server Data Tools

The functionality you seek is part of SSDT in Visual Studio but you will need to enroll during the private preview period.

I hope this helps!

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 7:24 PM
  • Hi Mike,

We have enrolled for the preview offering,hence were able to create the DACPAC solution of the azure data warehouse in VS 2017.

But my question is for Devops: pertaining to Azure data warehouse solution checked in in GIT,the MSBuild functionality is failing (the same which is successful for Azure SQL database solution)

So any way by which we can update the Devops for ADW?

Thursday, April 18, 2019 5:32 AM
  • I sure wish I had some error output. I assume something is incorrect with the MSBuild task, as the Help - More Information fwlink is point to MSBuild.

Do you have any error detail or debug output?

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 2:03 AM
  • Hello Mike,

Since the build pipeline was failing, as a temporary solution we though of checking in the ADW DACPAC manually in the GIT Repo and provide the ADW DACPAC path in Azure Release pipeline for DACPAC publish but that too is failing with the below error:

Internal Error. The database platform service with type Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.SqlDwDatabaseSchemaProvider is not valid. You must make sure the service is loaded, or you must provide the full type name of a valid dat

abase platform service.

So as a final solution we thought of deploying the DACPAC via power shell from the VM where the SSDT(preview) was installed and where we are able to build ADW solution in VS 2017 and publish it to server via VS 2017.But there also we are getting the same error:

Internal Error. The database platform service with type Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.SqlDwDatabaseSchemaProvider is not valid. You must make sure the service is loaded,

or you must provide the full type name of a valid dat

abase platform service.

So what does Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.SqlDwDatabaseSchemaProvider signify? Since that resource provider was not available in Azure portal.

And how is the VS 2017 able to publish the DACPAC to server but we are unable to publish the DACPAC via power shell  when the set up is installed in same VM?  So do we need to add in some new components/ add ins for powershell.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 12:50 PM
  • Hi Nandan,

Do you have an Azure Support Plan? This needs to go to support. If you do not have an Azure support plan, can you please send me your Azure Subscription ID to AzCommunity and instructions will be returned to you to have this issue investigated by support. 

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 3:20 PM