none
SyncToy 2.1 change left or right folder path RRS feed

• Question

• How do I change the left or right folder path? I seem to be able to only create a new one and delete the old one. That's annoying.
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 4:19 PM

All replies

• Hi dhinged,

Yes, re-creating a new folder pair is the only safe way to change left or right folder path. SyncToy need this restriction to avoid some unexpected system behaviors or errors.

Some users shared their private solution to approach changing sync folder path by modifying SyncToy metadata files in this forum. However, such private solutions have risks and are not recommended for important files.

By the way, if you just move the sync folder to another drive and drive letter is the only change in your sync folder path (e.g. from "d:\left folder\" to "f:\left folder"), you do not need to change sync folder path yourself or recreate any new folder pair, SyncToy can find the new place itself. (Notice that if you want to sync one single folder to multiple folders, you must created multiple folder pairs for them.)

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, May 17, 2010 1:48 AM
  • Hi JiGuang,

How do I get SyncToy to change the drive letter.   I regularly sync to a flash drive and windows has now allocated this a different drive letter.   SyncToy is not finding this automatically.   What do I need to do?

Thanks,

Chris

Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:31 AM
  • Hi chriscfox,

What is the version of your SyncToy? SyncToy 2.0/2.1 support detecting drive letter feature, while SyncToy 1.4 does not.

Thanks

Saturday, May 22, 2010 6:16 AM
  • Unfortunately, SyncToy is hit-or-miss with respect to finding folder pairs when drive letters change.  Empirically, it seems to find better if there is only one drive letter increment, but not if there is a larger delta - such as when a second HDD is installed in a laptop Ultrabay port, which dramatically changes the USB flash drive letters.
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:05 PM
  • It should be possible to change the path very easily. Why create a new folder path? I make a backup, then to restore the backup is a pain.

Seriously. Just learn with Grsync on linux. The best backup solution, but not very well compatible with Windows.

Friday, May 28, 2010 4:19 PM
  • I have found that if one of the drives disappears temporarily (e.g. it gets unplugged) SyncToy might change the drive letter to some other letter.  In my case it seems always to change the drive letter to some other mapped drive.  If this is by design and it's finding the same path on another drive, there is clearly a bug because the path doesn't exists on the drive letter it chooses. 

Is there a way to disable the dynamic drive letter changing?  If SyncToy can change the drive letter automatically (and incorrectly), it seems reasonable that there is a way to change it back to the correct drive letter.  It's a bit of a chore to have to recreate many folder pairs.

Monday, June 21, 2010 11:00 AM
  • "By the way, if you just move the sync folder to another drive and drive letter is the only change in your sync folder path (e.g. from "d:\left folder\" to "f:\left folder"), you do not need to change sync folder path yourself or recreate any new folder pair, SyncToy can find the new place itself. (Notice that if you want to sync one single folder to multiple folders, you must created multiple folder pairs for them.)"

I found synctoy 2.1 does not detect a two-jump drive letter change. My backup USB drive had been "F" when I created the backup pair, but now it is connected as "H" and SyncToy can't find it. Don't want to delete and recreate, since it will probably go back to "F" when I stop using the other peripheral devices, sigh.

Monday, June 21, 2010 8:39 PM
  • You can temporarily change the drive letter of the external drive as follows:

- Control panel --> Administratitve Tools --> Computer Management --> Disk Management --> Right click on drive letter, then change letter to match the left folder in SyncToy.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 6:43 PM
  • If you really want to reset the drive letters it can be done, but you have to edit the hex file where the data is stored.  This happened to me where I couldn't change back to the original drive letter because it was in use by a new device.  I really didin't want to re-sync because I had hundreds of gigs of data.  Here's a good description (not mine) of how to do it.

http://mrobbeloth.blogspot.com/2011/07/gateway-and-synctoy-annoyances-cant.html

Thursday, December 22, 2011 11:38 PM
  • Hi there,

In my case I have a boxcryptor unit X: which is a miror of another unit E: where my google drive unit stores my cloud files.

I don't know why today Synctoy didn't find the unit X: and switched automatically to its mirror in E:

So, syncronizing like this, files won't get encripted on Google Drive.

Is difficult (or imposible) to change E: for X: because X: unit only exists when Boxcriptor is launched (boxcryptor creates this X: mirror unit automatically to make all encription tasks).

As you can image, now everything has gone into a mess and re-create the folder pair is a nightmare because I dedicated hours to exclude tons of folders which I didn't want to be syncronized.

From my point of view Microsoft has made an effort to implement a feature whcih gives more problems than solutions: I would rather prefer to get an error when a unit is not found. This way a have more control of the situation.

For those who had tried to Hex edit the config file: could you pelase give the name of the file to be edited? You only said the path (%localappdata%\microsoft\synctoy\2.0) but nor the name!!

Thanks

Saturday, October 12, 2019 8:39 AM