CompositeTransform3D Working under Windows 10 10041?

Question

• Put together a UAP app and I'm running it under Win10 10041. It displays an <Image> which is sourced from a PNG file in Assets.  No big deal there.  Works just fine.

If I set Image.Transform3D to a CompositeTransform3D with any mixture of X, Y, and Z rotations in the XAML file, it appears to work just fine.  The image displays in the requested rotation combination.

As a next step I'm looking at animating the rotation simply to confirm I have control over it before I move on to more advanced things.  I've hooked the CompositionTarget.Rendering event and I increment the values of the CompositeTransform3D.RotationX, Y, and Z.  If I change the value of only ONE of the three values, and leave the other two set to zero, the image rotates around whatever axis I'm incrementing.  It works exactly like expected.

HOWEVER if any two or more of the rotation values are non-zero, the Image control no longer performs the rotation.  Doesn't matter how the CompositeTransform3D ends up with more than one rotation value non-zero, the image will no longer update based on new rotation values.  As soon as only one rotation is non-zero and the others are zero, the image will return to rotating properly.

Again, the CompositeTransform3D can be set to any combination of rotations in the XAML file and that'll work.  But it won't respond to any changes subsequently performed in the code if it mean more than one rotation value is left non-zero.  Likewise if the rotation had only one non-zero value and the code later changed the CompositeTransform3D to have more than one non-zero rotation value, the image will no longer rotate.

Specifically the image will get stuck in the first rotation state where there in more than one non-zero rotation value.  So it will respond to the first time more than one rotation value is non-zero, but no changes after that until there is only one rotation set to non-zero.  As soon as there is only one rotation value that is non-zero, it will return to responding.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this and whether it is a known problem with Win10 10041.  I can't update to 10049(?) until it is made available as an ISO download.  I'm testing on a Surface Pro 1, and it doesn't respond successfully to a full update via Windows Update.  It needs to need the ISO image copied to a folder branch on the SDD in order to complete a full install.

-- kburgoyne

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:50 AM

All replies

• Just so you know - the mods on this forum aren't supporting development for Windows 10 at the moment. This will change after Build.  However, we have some of the product group paying attention to the forum, hopefully one of them will chime in.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, April 16, 2015 12:11 PM
  • Thanks for your considerate reply, Matt.  I'm assuming from your reply that you don't really know of any place better to refer me to.  Sometimes it's clear, and sometimes it's not clear, which forum is the right one to use for a question.

I'm actually rather surprised MS didn't simply set up a "Windows 10" sideline group of forums.  I can appreciate how questions about develop on a "still in development" foundation would undesirably clutter a forum with questions whose answers would potentially lack long-term usefulness.

-- kburgoyne

Thursday, April 16, 2015 2:06 PM
  • What's happened is that development preview has not been released yet. We may have new APIs that may make your existing code moot, or the DP may resolve this issue. We will also start supporting it at that point and should be able to file bugs as well.  I expect to know more in a couple of weeks after //BUILD.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, April 16, 2015 4:19 PM