none
Signing Transport agent with self-signed certificate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Exchange Transport service failed to start after installation of a transport agent signed using self-signed certificate. Is it not possible to sign a transport agent with self-signed certificate?

Monday, June 22, 2015 8:43 AM

All replies

• Can you please tell what kind of transport agent is it ?

Is it an agent for any email signature , Antispam , Antivirus ?

Try checking your event logs to check for related errors.

Also check in what  account the Transport service is running.

More info on the transport agent will help in further troubleshooting

Remember to mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question.That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you Check out my latest blog posts on http://exchangequery.com Thanks Sathish (MVP)

Monday, June 22, 2015 1:21 PM
  • It is a custom routing agent that simply checks the subject of the email. It works perfectly fine without signing the DLL binary. However, after we signed the DLL binary file with a self sign certificate, Exchange Transport service failed to start.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2015 1:14 AM
  • As Sathish pointed out the first place to start is look at the event log, if the Transport Service fails to start you will have an error that should be pretty specific as to what the problem actually is. I suspect your getting "strong name validation" error but the log will tell you exactly what the issue is.

Cheers
    Glen

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 4:29 AM
  • Thanks, I've checked the Event log and it shows that there is a System.TypeInitializationException in edgetransport.exe. I try to debug and see what is the problem.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2015 7:46 AM