Design for Easy Integration into Customer's Sites RRS feed

• Question

• User32807812 posted

This is my second ASP.net project, and I'm looking for suggestions or approaches rather than specifics, but here goes.

The project, once done, will provide a "portal" into a limited portion of the client's database.  All clients are using a SQL database, but various server software products are involved (MSSQL, MySQL, and others). 

My question, however, has more to do with the "look and feel" of the finished product.  We want to be able to integrate our 'portal' easily into the client's websites and have it look as seamless as possible.  Obviously, placements of logos, etc. -- but also colors, fonts, etc.

Client sites tend to be simplistic in design.  We envision the customer placing a link to our site from theirs, and our site will be running on IIS on their server.  At least that's the plan.

The goal right now would be to make as much of this "parameter driven" as possible, so that a lot of the install can be accomplished through some simple settings, isolated in one or two files such that at installation time we can tweak those settings and be up-and-running in a short period of time with a site that integrates reasonably well with the customer's. 

But I'm uncertain as to whether there is a better approach.  Obviously, we could try to redesign our site with each install with the basic design of the customer's, but this would be cost-prohibitive in some situations.  So, I'm thinking about a "second best" alternative that may be adequate in most circumstances. 

Hope I haven't lost everyone with this rambling question, but any suggestions are appreciated.

TIA

David

Sunday, August 22, 2010 3:39 PM

Answers

• User-952121411 posted

You might want to look into ASP.NET themes and skins that will allow you to switch the generic look and feel in the easy manner that you are needing.  Take a look at the following for some more information:

ASP.NET Themes and Skins: 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ykzx33wh.aspx

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, August 23, 2010 11:55 AM