What control is used for Stocks and Weather?

General discussion

• It appears to me there's a new layout control being used for Weather and Stocks in the Consumer Preview that looks similar to a Panorama from Windows Phone.  Is this something that is available in the SDK or something we're going to have to build ourselves?  If we have to build it ourselves I'm having deja vu back to the way Panorama and Pivot were for WP initially.  Hoping that's not the case.

Thanks,

Brent

• Changed type Bob_Bao Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:01 PM
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:07 PM

All replies

• I suspect its a custom made java control.  Its only used in two apps, both made by bing!

http://www.mdtadesign.co.uk/

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:21 PM
  • Hopefully someone from Microsoft can comment :)
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 11:13 PM
  • The Weather and Finance apps use several custom controls.

--Rob

Thursday, March 1, 2012 12:08 AM
    Owner
  • Fair enough, I'll re-frame and ask the question through a different channel.  The experience in those apps is great and something that should really be built-in.  I know who to follow up with.  Thanks Rob!
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 1:34 AM
  • Why are these controls custom? they were basic controls in windows phone and felt like a cornerstone of the Metro UI paradigm. Pivot/Panorama need to return in Windows 8. I've been dogging this topic but its seriously stressful when coming off the WP7 controls and into Win8.

Ankur Vashi - Dreken Productions

Friday, March 16, 2012 9:32 PM
  • I hope a Windows 8 toolkit comes out soon so Microsoft can share some of these custom controls they have been developing internally for their apps!

http://www.mdtadesign.co.uk/

Friday, March 16, 2012 11:38 PM
  • I don't get it... :-(

I tried to port my desktop application to Metro; it started off well until I started adding logic and found out that:

1. Metro is a limited set of API's
    2. Metro is sandboxed & no access to the file system itself
    3. Metro can't access external API's (assemblies/.NET Framework)

So what type of app can you create with it?

Then I saw this article: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-shows-off-windows-8-business-app-concepts/12189
    It's Dynamics from Microsoft; it has all these flashy controls and displays functionality of Dynamics + allows you to execute actions specific to Dynamics (create new project/approve/reject/...)

But how do they do this then? If they can't include their own dynamics libraries.
    This is still a black hole to me; it more looks like Metro is still in it's embryonic phase. :-(

I was very excited to start but then lost all hope because I couldn't access any of my business logic / own assemblies. The portable libraries don't solve this either because they are also restricted.

Any ideas on how they do this then? Or maybe I'm missing a big part of the clue here.

Thanks!

Monday, March 19, 2012 6:10 PM