Add Connection to SQL Server 2014 Fails? RRS feed

• Question

• Hope this is the right Forum for this question.

I managed to "Connect" to a network SQL Server 2014 Express. In my .NET application, when I try to "Add connection" to the database, I get to this point (which takes forever?):

At this point, in the Connect to database section, in the database list box, every database on the selected Server should appear. But when I try to access the list, I get greeted by this error message :

I can see very briefly the "name" of the databases in the list but it is immediately followed by the error message.

I'll have to research "SSPI" and the "target principal name"? 

Any help is appreciated.

Thursday, April 23, 2020 12:48 AM

Answers

• Searches on the internet turned out some information related to the "user"? So, I started to get interested in the management of users on the database side, who gets the right to access the SQL Server! I must say, for the last month or so that I worked on this project, I was working off a *local* SQL Server instance. I logged in using Windows authentification and access was instantaneous. Now, even if the Server is five feet away from my machine, it takes a good 20 seconds or so to login into the Server? For some reason? 

To make a long story short, I chose to get away from Windows authentication and use SQL Server authentication. First, not really knowing what I was doing, I used the *SA* account, changed its password and away I went. Then, having tested the concept that, through this method, my application can access the Server, I created a separate user with less "rights" -- I'm not stupid. Still, I'm going to have some heavy "soul searching" to do for the day I bring this database to my client? I know my client is on a Domain where, here, in my small home office, I'm only on a Workgroup.

Issue solved. Hope this helps others. I still have a ton of things to solve but, one by one :-0

• Marked as answer by roger.breton Thursday, April 23, 2020 1:55 AM
    Thursday, April 23, 2020 1:55 AM