Make the Contact Picker provider to work

Question

• I'm trying to create an app as a contact picker provider. In the application manifest, I added a declaration for Contact Picker. I want to break in the OnActivated event in the app.

I appreciate if anyone can answer my qns. My questions are:

1. Does the declaration (extension) tell the Windows 8.1 OS that the current app is an extension to the OS behaviors? Can't other windows applications call these extension directly? For example, can I create another Contact Picker as a source application and use my current contact picker provider app as a target?

2. How do I deploy my current app which is a Contact picker Provider so the People App can show it as a contact picker? I'm running my app in the VS 2013 debug mode.

Thanks
    Monday, February 10, 2014 12:14 PM

Answers

• 1) yes it does. as soon you select this capability in the manifest your app will get available as contact picker.

2) just install like any other app. if want to debug the activation you can go to project properties and thenthe debug tabpage. there is an option "dont start the application but debug when application starts" and then go to an app that uses a contact picker

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Monday, February 10, 2014 12:36 PM

All replies

• 1) yes it does. as soon you select this capability in the manifest your app will get available as contact picker.

2) just install like any other app. if want to debug the activation you can go to project properties and thenthe debug tabpage. there is an option "dont start the application but debug when application starts" and then go to an app that uses a contact picker

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Monday, February 10, 2014 12:36 PM
  • I deployed the application, and see it in the list of apps on the start screen. But I don't see the new app as a provider in the PEOPLE app. I should be seeing a drop down with the new app that I created and the people app also. But I don't see any.

Is there any settings that I need to check to see the extensions on 8.1?

Monday, February 10, 2014 10:17 PM