none
Problem with recognition of Gestures created with Visual Gesture Builder RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone !

My university gave me the brand new Kinect v2 and now I am supposed to deliver a solution for "Using slide presentations (e.g. PowerPoint) with Gestures. The heuristic approach works pretty well, but now I saw the jumpstart presentation and I would love to do another approach with the VGB.

Now my problem: This "handOverHead" example is nice to begin with, but I need more complex gestures, like a swipe gesture. I tried to do a discrete wave gesture first, it goes like:

1. Raise my arm
    2. Move arm to the right
    3. Move arm back to initial position

I checked it with the "Live prewiev" but there is no signal at all. I think the problem is that I don´t know how to use the VGB for more complex gestures.

I can´t find any examples or guides for this new feature (well...no surprise I guess), but has anyone tried a similiar gesture and can deliver a nice example? Any other help is really appreciated.

Alex

Monday, August 25, 2014 4:18 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, it looks like the original projects were not added due to size. What is described in the video (~35min) shows how you go about tagging. If you want to create a swipe gesture, it is exactly the same steps just you select the start/end of the swipe, similar to head over hand.

If you want to tag drawing a glyph, the same steps are taken.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:34 PM

All replies

• Have you seen the videos posted on KStudio and Visual Gesture Builder?

http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/Programming-Kinect-for-Windows-v2/06#time=19m54s

The key is tagging your clip correctly, which is covered in the video. You need to record several clips and tag each one with the start and end of the gesture and export that. As you record others doing the same gesture and adding it to the database it will work better.

We are going to post a new set of videos to go deeper into how to use the tool, but not sure on the ETA. Could be in the next week or so?

Additionally, starting with the August update to the Public Preview, there is a GestureBuilder sample that may give you some pointers on how to tag your clips.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 5:48 PM
  • I already watched this video, thanks. Looking forward to these new videos you are talking about.

About the August update: Is this the update you are talking about, especially the "Discrete Gestures Basics" example? It´s nice for showing me how I can use the VGB in my code, but how does it help me in tagging my clips? Is there a VGB-project inside of the example, where I can see how you tagged your clips? I thought the example only contains the .gdb file.

Thanks again for your help,

Alex

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 10:19 AM
  • Unfortunately, it looks like the original projects were not added due to size. What is described in the video (~35min) shows how you go about tagging. If you want to create a swipe gesture, it is exactly the same steps just you select the start/end of the swipe, similar to head over hand.

If you want to tag drawing a glyph, the same steps are taken.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:34 PM
  • The new videos helped me, thank you.
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 10:56 AM