Can I publish an App for Office 2013 and make it not searchable? RRS feed

• Question

• We developed a version of an App for Excel 2013. We would like to deploy it to the Office App store so that testers and other teams can start using it. However, we don't want the public to use the App yet. Can you publish it but make it not searchable in the App store. Thanks a lot!

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 6:42 PM

Answers

• According to the description below, I don’t think we can make it not searchable.
    Office provides the ability for end-users to discover solutions directly from a public marketplace hosted on Office.com. The Office Store provides a convenient location for developers to upload new app solutions aimed both at consumers and businesses. As a developer, when you upload your app to the public marketplace, Microsoft runs some validation checks on it. For example, it checks whether the app manifest markup is valid and complete and verifies that any included SharePoint solution packages (.wsp files) do not include disallowed elements or features that have a scope broader than Web. If all tests are passed, the app package is wrapped into a file and signed by Microsoft.

Which kind of app are you developing? As far as I know there is several way to publish the app like below.
    1. Publishing to the Office Store
    2. Publishing task pane and content apps to an app catalog
    3. Publishing task pane and content apps to a shared network folder
    4. Publishing mail apps to Exchange Server

You can get more detail from article below:
    Publishing your app for Office

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:05 AM

All replies

• According to the description below, I don’t think we can make it not searchable.
    Office provides the ability for end-users to discover solutions directly from a public marketplace hosted on Office.com. The Office Store provides a convenient location for developers to upload new app solutions aimed both at consumers and businesses. As a developer, when you upload your app to the public marketplace, Microsoft runs some validation checks on it. For example, it checks whether the app manifest markup is valid and complete and verifies that any included SharePoint solution packages (.wsp files) do not include disallowed elements or features that have a scope broader than Web. If all tests are passed, the app package is wrapped into a file and signed by Microsoft.

Which kind of app are you developing? As far as I know there is several way to publish the app like below.
    1. Publishing to the Office Store
    2. Publishing task pane and content apps to an app catalog
    3. Publishing task pane and content apps to a shared network folder
    4. Publishing mail apps to Exchange Server

You can get more detail from article below:
    Publishing your app for Office

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:05 AM
  • Thanks Fei. My app is a task pane app for Excel 2013. I tried the shared network folder way but it doesn't work for me. All the Ajax calls in the app are not made (I don't see the request using tools like Fiddler).

As of now, the only way to test our app is to install Visual Studio and run the app in it.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:06 PM
  • Hi,

>> I tried the shared network folder way but it doesn't work for me.<<

Have you publish it successfully? Did you get any error message?

>> All the Ajax calls in the app are not made (I don't see the request using tools like Fiddler). <<

Does the ajax calls is cross-domain? If so you can refer to the relative thread below:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2b431c22-0708-4d2c-b235-6253800246c0/issues-with-performing-an-ajax-call-within-an-office365-app-for-excel?forum=appsforoffice

And if this not helpful, I suggest you reopen a new thread for the issue since the oringal issue was resolved. It will involve other communities and you will get more quick response.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards

Fei

Friday, February 14, 2014 5:21 AM