APP ERROR RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm getting below error when I publish my app into our network shared catalog and insert an app into my Microsoft Surface which has Windows 8 Pro.

This App works with a customize template, everything works fine for first time  but when I save the app along with template and launch the Excel Workbook again get below error:

APP ERROR

This app is no longer available: apps inserted during development are only available during debugging from Visual Studio. Please open your project in Visual Studio and re-run your application, or deploy your app into a valid catalog and re-insert.

I have publish the app using visual studio 2012

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 8:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Vyyk,

To ensure that your document is cleaned from your previous usage during development, please open the file, then go to "File | Info | Check for Issues | Inspect Document".

This way you can check and clean the document from any previous properties.

Thanks,
    Philip

Monday, June 10, 2013 5:40 PM

All replies

• Hello,

when you opened the app to insert it into your template, did you do so by launching the app from Visual Studio or by opening Excel, navigating to the Insert-Apps for Office dialog and lanching it from the shared folder in the dialog?

If you launch the app via the dialog and then embed it into your template file, then it should be able to be opened again, if you embedded it from the launch via Visual Studio then this is the problem.

Hope this helps,
    Philip

Thursday, June 6, 2013 12:11 AM
  • Hi Philip,

I was doing the way you said.

These were my steps.

1. Package the app using Visual Studio 2012

2. Publish the Web Application using Web Deploy on my machine.

3. Publish my app for Office into shared network  path by copying *manfest xml file.

4. Launch Excel 2013 and set up Trust Center Settings. Close it.

5. Launch Excel 2013 on surface and open the template.

6. Insert my app and everything works fine with the App.

7. Save As workbook and run the saved workbook APP ERROR appears in Task Pane.

Thanks.

One more Update: I'm using the template I have used during development and even if I remove the App and save the template and use the same template to add the App from Catalog might be causing the issue so may be is there a way to remove any such hidden information (if any) from the template?
    • Edited by Vyvk Thursday, June 6, 2013 5:17 PM
    Thursday, June 6, 2013 3:45 PM
  • Hi Vyvk,

Just to clarify:  the manifest file you're copying into the network share is off of the published folder that you get by publishing the app (in step 1), right?  Or are you copying the manifest from a bin/Debug folder -- that would not be correct.

Let me know, and we can investigate from there.

- Michael

Michael Zlatkovsky | Program Manager, Visual Studio Tools for Office & Apps for Office

Friday, June 7, 2013 10:31 PM
  • Hi Micahel,

Thank you for taking time and interest in my issue.

Yes correct, I'm using the Publish feature of VS 2012 and dropping the Manifest file from ..\bin\Release\app.publish\OfficeAppManifests folder. This is the only file I drop to shared network folder.

As I mention it is happening when I'm using the custom Excel template, it is the same template I have use during development. Also, during development I set the Start Action of my project to launch this excel template.

If I wouldn't use the custom template and save the app to new Excel Workbook. When I open the saved workbook everything works fine I don't get above error. My feeling is since I use the same template during development some environment specific information got embed into the template.

In template I have created several sheets and variety of bindings to fill data from cloud services. I try to create a template from my template and save as without an app into it and use it on other test machine but no success yet, getting an attached error.

I look forward to hear back from you and glad to provide any other details.

Saturday, June 8, 2013 1:58 PM
  • Hi Vyyk,

To ensure that your document is cleaned from your previous usage during development, please open the file, then go to "File | Info | Check for Issues | Inspect Document".

This way you can check and clean the document from any previous properties.

Thanks,
    Philip

Monday, June 10, 2013 5:40 PM
  • Hi Philip!

Your steps help me to resolve the issue.

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and wisdom.

Vyvk

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 6:45 PM