none
What template to use for web app and mobile app

Question

• I have written a large (100+ foprms) forms based VB.NET application, accessing SQL Server, MS Access and Oracle databases using Visual Studio 2005.

I now want to write a similar application (call it X) but use mySQL and Visual Studio 2015 community.  It need to be a browser based application running on a stand-alone pc and I do not want to buy any software for that pc, hence mySQL (I will delevop on a different pc).

I also want to write a mobile phone app for iPad, iPhone, Android and Windows with a few simple screens to access teh mySQL database on teh pc and ideally, if possible, reuse some code I would at that point have written for application X.

I also want ro be able ro send text messages from teh PC or mobile to other mobiles.

I have installed Visual Studio 2015 community and clicked Nre Project and looked at th etemplate options.

The question is: what template do I use ay achieve above, for PC: ASP.NET? VB, C#, or another language (C++ jave phyton?)

And what do I use for the mobile phone app - C++ cross platform?

Any help appreciated.

Thursday, August 4, 2016 4:50 PM

Answers

• Hi truepegasus,

Thank you for your post.

>>what template do I use ay achieve above, for PC: ASP.NET? VB, C#, or another language (C++ jave phyton?)

If you need the Asp.Net related Templates, these were installed with the VS default installation.

Once you install VS 2015 well, when creating a web app, we could see the templates as below:

For the cross platform app developments, please go to Control Panel >Programs >Programs and Features, select Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 and click on 'Modify'.

You could choose UWP and Cross platform Mobile development related packages to install.

In addition, you may take a look at the the xamarin website for dedicated support of mobile program development.

https://www.xamarin.com/

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, August 5, 2016 7:06 AM