WWAProject Error in VStudio (Beta and RC)

Question

• Hi there,

I am trying to build a project sent from a partner and getting the following error. It a Windows 8 App built on JS. When I open the Solution, I get the following error..

The imported project "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v11.0\WWAProject\Microsoft.VisualStudio.WWAProject.Default.props" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk. 

I looked in the V11.0 directory and do not find the WWAProject subfolder. Do I need to install anything else? I get the error on VStudio Beta and RC (and on CP and RP versions of Windows 8).

Thanks for your help.

Pradeep

Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:44 PM

Answers

• If you are receiving that error, then it seems the project you got is based on the original Developer Preview - there have been many breaking changes since that release in the Consumer and Release Previews.  The easiest thing to do at this point would be to start with a fresh new project on Release Preview and then just copy/paste relevant app code over to the new one that didn't come from the templates.

If you want to try upgrading the project, you'll have to do the following:

· Rename your existing .wwaproj to .jsproj (e.g. TicTacToe.wwaproj to TicTacToe.jsproj) if it is still using the wwaproj extension.
    · Open the .wwaproj/jsproj file and change the following lines from (the first two are in the middle of the file, the last one near the end):

<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\4.0\Microsoft.VisualStudioVersion.v11.Common.props" />
      <Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v$(VisualStudioVersion)\WWAProject\Microsoft.VisualStudio.WWAProject.Default.props" />
      <Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v$(VisualStudioVersion)\WWAProject\Microsoft.VisualStudio.WWAProject.props" />
      <Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v$(VisualStudioVersion)\WWAProject\Microsoft.VisualStudio.WWAProject.targets" />
    to:

<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\$(MSBuildToolsVersion)\Microsoft.Common.props" Condition="Exists('$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\$(MSBuildToolsVersion)\Microsoft.Common.props')" />
      <Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v$(VisualStudioVersion)\$(WMSJSProjectDirectory)\Microsoft.VisualStudio.$(WMSJSProject).Default.props" />
      <Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v$(VisualStudioVersion)\$(WMSJSProjectDirectory)\Microsoft.VisualStudio.$(WMSJSProject).props" />
      <Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v$(VisualStudioVersion)\$(WMSJSProjectDirectory)\Microsoft.VisualStudio.$(WMSJSProject).targets" />

· Edit your .sln file (if you maintain one) in the following way:

Project("{262852C6-CD72-467D-83FE-5EEB1973A190}") = "WinWebApp4", "WinWebApp4\WinWebApp4.wwaproj", "{D04F293D-4384-46ED-A955-E52DD9533608}"

to:
      Project("{262852C6-CD72-467D-83FE-5EEB1973A190}") = "WinWebApp4", "WinWebApp4\WinWebApp4.jsproj", "{D04F293D-4384-46ED-A955-E52DD9533608}"

Note: these are not the only changes, just the ones needed to get the project to open without that error trying to look for the old import.  Since then there have been many breaking changes in the platform and other areas that will make upgrading it potentially time consuming, hence the recommendation to start fresh and port only your code over.  If you want to update the existing one, you should also read through the two white papers regarding updating from Developer Preview to Consumer Preview (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=242888) and Consumer Preview to Release Preview (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj126963.aspx).

Hope that helps!

~Gearard

Friday, August 3, 2012 6:51 AM