vstest.console.exe licensing question RRS feed

• Question

• We currently have tests that run with Test Explorer / VSTest.Console.exe on the local machine. We would like to have the test running on VMs for CI.  I am trying to find out if I can copy VSTest.Console.exe, and its deplendencies, over to the VMs or if I will need to purchase a copy of VS for each VM.  If I do need to purchase a copy of VS what is the minimum version that include VSTest.Console.exe.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 7:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Tom.Lake,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

As far as I know that if you want to run tests on VMs using vstest.console.exe in command line.

One way is that you could install a same version of VS on VMs and then execute the test using vstest.console.exe in command line.

Another way is that you are only need to install this Test agent without installing VS on your VMs.

Note: after you install this test agent, the test agent is includes this vastest.console.exe tool.

And the currently official site provided the Agents for Microsoft Visual Studio 2013

http://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/details.aspx?id=40750

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Tina-Shi Wednesday, July 29, 2015 9:55 AM
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 2:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Tom.Lake,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

As far as I know that if you want to run tests on VMs using vstest.console.exe in command line.

One way is that you could install a same version of VS on VMs and then execute the test using vstest.console.exe in command line.

Another way is that you are only need to install this Test agent without installing VS on your VMs.

Note: after you install this test agent, the test agent is includes this vastest.console.exe tool.

And the currently official site provided the Agents for Microsoft Visual Studio 2013

http://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/details.aspx?id=40750

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Tina-Shi Wednesday, July 29, 2015 9:55 AM
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 2:19 AM
  • And what about the license? Do i need a license for installing and running the Test Agent on a different machine?
    Friday, September 30, 2016 8:17 AM