How to Efficiently Syncronise Data Files between Devices

• Hello There

I am trying to work out how to efficiently syncronise my application's data files between my user's devices.  I am writing a Metro style app using JavaScript.

I do not wish to use the Roaming Folder, because of its various limitations and restrictions, e.g. the fact that I do not know how long the syncronisation will take, particularly in the case where the user makes updates to my application's data files and then closes down their device.

I have also tried syncronising the files using a SkyDrive folder.  Uploading and downloading files using the SkyDrive API is quite slow, and has to be done using the foreground thread (it takes over the application's UI whilst it does so).

I have installed the SkyDrive Desktop application (the one that integrates into Windows Explorer), however I am unable to read and write files to the local SkyDrive directory that it uses (I get the same "Access denied" error that I get when I try and read and write files outside of my application's Sandboxed area).

If I prompt the user to select the SkyDrive folder using the Folder Picker, I can temporarily create folders and files underneath it, however the application is unable to then access these files when it is restarted.

Many thanks

Geoff Olding

Monday, June 11, 2012 3:23 PM

All replies

• Have you considered Windows Azure Blob Storage?  There is a REST based API that you can use: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/dd135733

There is a cost for Azure Blob Storage, but it's pretty low.  For example, 50Gb + 2Million transactions / month would cost under $5 per month.

Monday, June 11, 2012 6:49 PM
  • Thanks for the reply

Do you know whether I can use Windows Aszue Blob Storage from a background thread? (web worker)

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:24 AM
  • I can't see why not.  The blob storage REST API is simple GET/PUT requests.  As long as you are not attempting to access the DOM, you should be able to use the API in a Web Worker.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:44 PM
  • Hello there

Do you know where I can find information and samples about using blob storage from within a Metro Style app under Windows Developer Preview?

Many thanks

Monday, June 18, 2012 11:25 PM