none
Insert data from dataset to SQL RRS feed

Answers

• Thanks all for your response.

My question is that I have data in dataset in vb.net application, How can I load / copy my dataset into a SQL Server Table?

Let me know if I need to make it more clear...

Where did the Dataset come from originally?

Look, typcially you are going to connect to a database, fill a DataAdapter's DataSet, do stuff to that data in the Dataset, then re-connect with that database to submit or not submit that DataSet.  This is the new model for ADO.NET -- being "disconnected" from the datasource.  With that said, you really need to click the links that were provided to you already, learn some of the basics, then post questions from there.

You are still asking a question that is so broad in scope that it would take a lot to get you up to speed on how to do it. 

James Crandall ~ http://javitechnologies.com Spatial Database Solutions
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 5:25 PM

All replies

• Wow.  That's a heck'uv a question there.  Normally, you post something very specific you are having problems with in your code and memebers will help out.  The question you ask above is far beyond specific question and is too broad and basic to address. 

Maybe you should start by learning the basics first, then post when you are having difficulty with something:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms254937.aspx

Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:57 PM
  • Hi Me.Saqib,

As james said, your requirement is really so broad.
    Please provide more detailed information about your requirement.
    What does your "SQL" here mean? SQL Server?
    Do you want to insert one record which is obtained from one Dataset which has multiple columns into one table in a SQL Server database which has a similar structure?
    The more detailed your description about your issue is, the quicker & more impeccable the replies will be.
    Thanks for your understanding.
    Leo Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:30 AM
  • Hello Me.Saqib,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum and thanks for posting here.

As your description, here is an article about DataSet DataTable and DataView in ADO.NET, they may help you:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ss7fbaez.aspx

If you have any other questions, you can see the ADO.NET DataSet FAQ at here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/adodotnetdataset/thread/ae43b57c-2512-4f7d-9adc-da8dd59f10f7

I hoep they can help.

Have a nice day,

Jackie Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 8:29 AM

My question is that I have data in dataset in vb.net application, How can I load / copy my dataset into a SQL Server Table?

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 4:54 PM

Where did the Dataset come from originally?

Look, typcially you are going to connect to a database, fill a DataAdapter's DataSet, do stuff to that data in the Dataset, then re-connect with that database to submit or not submit that DataSet.  This is the new model for ADO.NET -- being "disconnected" from the datasource.  With that said, you really need to click the links that were provided to you already, learn some of the basics, then post questions from there.

You are still asking a question that is so broad in scope that it would take a lot to get you up to speed on how to do it. 

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 5:25 PM
  • Dear Friend, I accidentally happen to come to this page. It may be true that the question asked here is too basic. But your question... don't you know there can be 101 scenarios where you can have a dataset with a fill data table??? just one for you... there is an xml file or a excel file... data from that loaded into dataset... now wanted to be into sql server. I appreciate all the help extended by valuable contribution from you all... you would become more VALUABLE, if you could consider not to deride help seekers. Sorry if I sounded against you... I don't mean to. YOU ALL MENTIONED AND ASKED THE PERSON TO BE MORE SPECIFIC. THAT'S CORRECT. IF THE SEEKER IS INTERESTED HE WOULD COME BACK READING THE FAQs. Thanks and appreciation for the good service you all people render here... please keep it up. Regards, Kishore.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 7:15 AM
  • Dear Friend, I accidentally happen to come to this page. It may be true that the question asked here is too basic. But your question... don't you know there can be 101 scenarios where you can have a dataset with a fill data table??? just one for you... there is an xml file or a excel file... data from that loaded into dataset... now wanted to be into sql server. I appreciate all the help extended by valuable contribution from you all... you would become more VALUABLE, if you could consider not to deride help seekers. Sorry if I sounded against you... I don't mean to. YOU ALL MENTIONED AND ASKED THE PERSON TO BE MORE SPECIFIC. THAT'S CORRECT. IF THE SEEKER IS INTERESTED HE WOULD COME BACK READING THE FAQs. Thanks and appreciation for the good service you all people render here... please keep it up. Regards, Kishore.

Hi Kishore,

Yes, I understand that there can be many datasources for a Dataset, and I don't believe anyone on this thread derided the original poster at all.  But on your point of having 101 scenarios....

I think it is becoming increasingly important for the "developer" to be both application and database tier developers -- and this logically comes with the notion of practicing and implementing good standards for both of those tiers.  With that said, there are very few scenarios where I, as a database developer, would allow any new datasource to enter into the database unless it was already part of the existing database schema/architecture.  This is just good practice to have IMO.

...that is, it wouldn't matter if a Dataset from an Excel (or any other) source is the focus.  It ain't getting into the database tier unless there is an existing table that it is mapped to.  This is also one of the reasons why I had asked what the original datasource of his Dataset was. 

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 7:54 PM