Windows Installer: 64-bit Installer Package RRS feed

• Question

• My assemblies are written in C# and compiled with Platform Target "AnyCPU" in .NET 3.0. So it does not need to be registered like COM and can run as native 64-bit if all assemblies are manually copied to 64-bit computer. This means that I can still use my 32-bit installer package to install it on 64-bit OS into Program Files directory (not x86 Program Files), and .NET will automatically run it as native 64-bit application. Is my assumption correct? What are the advantages of creating separate 64-bit installer package then?

Friday, January 4, 2008 6:57 PM

Answers

•  

Hi YoJ,

I'm not an expert on hardware architecture but I guess that by targetting AnyCPU you get the common denominator (32 bits in this case I guess). If you install that on a 64-bit will run for backward compatibility reasons but it's not taking advantage of the whole hardware capabilities. In other words, is like getting a 1280x1024 resolution monitor to use it in 800x600

Possibly in the VS, C# or VB.NET forums (all them in MSDN) may provide you with more data

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 9:08 PM

All replies

•  

Did you ever get an answer to this question?
    Friday, April 4, 2008 8:42 PM
  •  

Hi YoJ,

I'm not an expert on hardware architecture but I guess that by targetting AnyCPU you get the common denominator (32 bits in this case I guess). If you install that on a 64-bit will run for backward compatibility reasons but it's not taking advantage of the whole hardware capabilities. In other words, is like getting a 1280x1024 resolution monitor to use it in 800x600

Possibly in the VS, C# or VB.NET forums (all them in MSDN) may provide you with more data

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 9:08 PM