Performance counters overhead RRS feed

• Question

• Good day.

I write my master thesis and my assignment is to monitor. NET applications with the level of CLR virtual machine. Exploring the possibilities of monitoring applications, I met up with performance counters.

I am unable to fully clarify overhead of using performance counters, that is how they will affect the performance of application being measured. I couldn't find any charts which show what is the overhead of 100, 1000 or 10000 performance counters.

Reading some forums I realized that the problem is not performance counters by themselves because they consume little resources, but their collection and presentation of data is big overhead. If that is true, what is the best way for me to write .NET application for monitoring other .NET applications ?

Friday, May 13, 2011 12:46 PM

All replies

• You could monitor the various counters of a .Net application using tools like procmon, process explorer etc.

That would give you data about how the CLR objects behave, how the managed heap behaves in various phases of your application, processor data, IO data, etc.

Monday, May 30, 2011 4:49 AM
  • I think using performance counters is the best way. As you already know performance counters themselves are not much of overhead. .Net provides mechanisms to format and log the collected data easily:: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/w4bz2147.aspx

Are you targeting the process itself which will be using performance counters? May be you can create a application which monitors other processes and to diagnose how your application itself uses system resources you can use perfmon.

My current phone is Windows Phone 7 and my current browser is IE 9. Check IE9 testing center
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 1:45 PM