none
UpdateProject MSP function works differently in MSP2013 to MSP2003 RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently using MSP2003 and are looking to move to MSP 2013, but I notice that the Update Project function (Tools, Tracking, Update Project in MSP2003) doesn’t work the same in MSP2013 as it does in MSP2003. 

In MSP2003, if I set the task to Fixed Units and select Update Project and select “Reschedule uncompleted work to start after:” and put the status date in for the date, then select “Selected tasks”, the remaining work on the task will remain as it was before and be rescheduled from the status date, and the end date of the task will change to allow the work to be scheduled for the resources keeping the units the same.

In MSP2013 (and MSP2010), if I select the same options as above, the work will be rescheduled from the status date, the end date of the tasks remains the same and the util (peak) remain the same but the remaining work will change.

How can I make MSP2013 behave the same as MSP2003?  I want to reschedule the task from the status date, keeping the utilisation (peak) and the remaining work the same and have MSP recalculate the end date?  If I change the task to Fixed Work, the work and end date will remain the same but the utilisation of the resources will change.  So there appears to be no way to force MSP to recalculate the end date of task and keep the work and utilisation of the resources the same.

We actually use the MSP function “UpdateProject” in a macro to update the task, and I couldn’t understand why I was getting different results in MSP2013, so I thought I would investigate the function and found that it is treated differently in MSP2013 (and MSP2010) – as explained above. 

Any help would be most appreciated.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 11:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Hillary,

Just tried your example with Project 2013.

Here is a 10 days task from Oct 29th untill Nov 11th. The status date is Nov 4th and actual work is 3 days, until Nov 2nd, so 2 days late versus the status date. The task is fixed work.

If I select "update project" and reschedule the uncomplete work to start after the status date (Nov 4th), my peak unit is kept (I also tried with a different peak unit), the remaining work is also kept and the task is pushed forward by 2 days, finishing on Nov 13th instead of 11th.

So it works as expected and as per your need. Do you have any successors or constraints to this task? Test it on a blank new file as I did and tell us what if the result.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Friday, October 30, 2015 3:19 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for replying.  I tested it on a blank new file as you suggested and it worked as expected (as you showed above), but on my proper project schedules it doesn't.

I've had a look at what's different between the test schedules where it works and the project schedules where it doesn't and have changed some calculation options in my project schedules so that they match the test schedules, but it still doesn't work.  I've also had a look at the differences in the Task and ActiveProject properties and changed some of those, but it still doesn't work.

We use a MSProject Template file (with calendars, fields, views etc. set up) as a starting point for our project schedules and I used that for the test schedule as well, so it is not anything that is set up in there that is causing the problem.  We use many macros on our schedules to update them and to produce outputs from them, so maybe it is something from one of these macros that is causing the problem, but I can't find what it is.  Have you got any suggestions as to what else can I check?

Thanks.

Monday, November 2, 2015 1:33 PM
  • Hi Hilary,

Could it be possible that you have some successors and/or constraints to the task which makes it impossible to move forward?

Otherwise, try the save for sharing method to see if you project is corrupted. This method usually solves many issues.

https://masterbehind.wordpress.com/2011/10/05/microsoft-project-2010-server-save-file-for-share/

Otherwise if you are ont working with Project Server, you can use the XML export method:

http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm#Handling_project_file_corruption_and/or_bloat

Hope this helps,

Monday, November 2, 2015 2:32 PM
  • Hilary,

I'm kind of jumping in the middle of the thread but with regard to your suspicion about macro being a possible cause, if you run your array of macros on the test file, does it cause the problem to occur? If it does then it looks like there is yet another gotcha lurking in the macro code and that will require some investigation similar to the last problem with resource rate tables. However, if the macros do not have any negative impact on the test file, then you may indeed have a corrupt file.

John

Monday, November 2, 2015 3:24 PM
  • Guillaume,

Just for reference, the corruption/bloat FAQ 43 has been updated with the translation of FAQs to Wiki articles Julie and I have been working on over the last year. A better link is:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/32054.ms-project-clearing-file-corruption-andor-bloat/history.aspx

John

Monday, November 2, 2015 3:27 PM
  • Thanks John, good to know that the FAQ has reborn as a wiki!

Hope this helps,

Monday, November 2, 2015 3:43 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thanks again for replying. 

The tasks don't have any successors or constraints.

I am not working with Project Server.  I tried the XML export method on a few of the schedules.  On two of them, when opening the XML file I got the message "We're sorry.  There seems to be a problem with this file that keeps us from opening it.  Please try using a backup copy if available.", so I couldn't open them.  On the others, it opened (with a few errors), but it had moved a lot of the tasks back to the start of the project.  On the up side though, the UpdateProject worked as expected.

I don't think I can ask everyone to try the Save As xml method as it changes the schedule too much and it doesn't work on some of the schedules.

Hilary

Monday, November 2, 2015 4:40 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for getting involved again.

I haven't tried running the macros on the test project yet, I'll give that a go - that was going to be my next step.  I just wondered if there were any Project or Task property setups that I could check first. 

The gotcha that you mentioned with my last problem with the resource rate tables, I have come across again with another macro.  Basically whenever an error occurs (whether trapped with error checking or not), the macro continues on and changes things, but as soon as the macro is finished, the changes revert to as they were before - which is exactly what was happening with the resource rate tables.  So, I've had to update the macro to make sure I don't get any errors!

Hilary

Monday, November 2, 2015 4:48 PM
  • Hilary,

Well I haven't really "engaged" in the issue of this thread, I think Guillaume has the handle, but I did want to comment on the possible effect of your macros since that was a previous problem and it appears it may still be a player in your conversion of Project 2003 to Project 2013.

Anxious to hear what happens when you run your macros on the test file.

Did you try the methods for clearing possible file corruption?

John

Monday, November 2, 2015 6:08 PM
  • Hi John,

I have tried inserting the project into a blank project (didn't clear the problem) and I have tried saving as XML file, but that wasn't very successful either - on two of the projects I couldn't open them from the XML file and on the others they opened but a lot of the tasks had been moved to the start of the project, but the UpdateProject worked as expected on them.

I'll try and do some more testing with our macros this week.  I'll let you know the outcome.

Hilary

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 7:45 AM
  • John you're more than welcome for helping on this case since you're much more skilled than me about macros in MS Project.

As John said, if running the macros on a test file doesn't return this unexpected behavior, we'll probably conclude that your files can be corrupted. The XML export method indeed can change a bit your project plan with the formatting but it shouldn't move the dates since even the date constraints should be kept.

Another way would be to identifiy why the file are corrupted. It could be resource on milestones, task calendars, resources on summary tasks, non-zero duration tasks flagged as milestones...

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 8:48 AM
  • HI Guillaume,

The XML export method stripped off the Actual Start dates from tasks, so that's why the tasks were moved to the start of the project (once a task has started we take off the Predecessors).

We don't have any of the problems on the schedules that you mentioned - we check the schedules for things like that (we have a schedule health macro).  I find it hard to believe that all our Project Schedules are corrupt, it seems more likely that one of our macros changes a setting that changes the way the UpdateProject works.  It would be good to know what settings/properties can change the way UpdateProject works.

Hilary

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 9:18 AM
  • Hilary,

Just to be clear, the methods outlined in the Wiki article I mentioned do not guarantee that a corrupt file will be cleared. I had another user try the XML method and he couldn't open the XML file from Project. After some investigation, I found that one of his Notes field text was causing the problem. Once that was fixed, everything worked fine.

If you were able to go the XML route with only some of your files and not others, then I'd say the files that would not open from XML most likely have problems and further analysis of those files is in order. On those that did open, even though some tasks were moved back to the Project Start date, are you saying the the UpdateProject worked as expected (i.e. as your need)? On those, if the UpdateProject does not work as expected after running your set of macros, then you're in for more macro troubleshooting.

As far as how or why Project files get corrupted, there are multiple reasons. It all depends on how the user maintains the file, what type of editing is done, where the file resides (e.g. local or on a server), and a myriad of other possibilities.

John

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 3:36 PM