Toast Notifications not showing in windows phone 8 app RRS feed

• Question

• From the url, which states the below,

On devices without Windows Phone 8 Update 3, toast notifications are not displayed when the target app is running in the foreground. On devices with Windows Phone 8 Update 3, toast notifications are displayed when the target app is running in the foreground but is obscured by other activity such as a phone call or the lock screen.

1. I have my app build with windows phone 8 and deployed on windows phone 8.1(which is higher version of O.S than mentioned). I receive toasts when the app is in background, but not when the app is running in the fore ground. But where as I see the apps like what's app are able to get them. Do we need to enable any other features or code or add any additional tasks for it to happen ?

2. I tried adding the  NotificationRecieved event for channel and it fired. In that event when I place a message box it is displayed, but when I put a toast it did not.

3. Do I need to add up the above event even though my phone has got Windows Phone 8 Update 3 or higher O.S.

Thanks & Regards Tejaswi Chandrapatla

Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:26 PM

Answers

• What the quote says it that newer OS versions will show you the toast if the App is running but currently being obscured (e.g. you're on a phone call or the lock screen is active and the app is running behind that activity).

Toasts still are not displayed when the App is actively running and not being obscured by something else. What WhatsApp is likely doing is that they registered for the NotificationReceived event and instead of launching a MessageBox they launch an Overlay in their App that is styled to look like a System Toast Message while not actually being done by the OS.

• Marked as answer by Teja510 Thursday, September 25, 2014 4:39 PM
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:57 PM

All replies

• What the quote says it that newer OS versions will show you the toast if the App is running but currently being obscured (e.g. you're on a phone call or the lock screen is active and the app is running behind that activity).

Toasts still are not displayed when the App is actively running and not being obscured by something else. What WhatsApp is likely doing is that they registered for the NotificationReceived event and instead of launching a MessageBox they launch an Overlay in their App that is styled to look like a System Toast Message while not actually being done by the OS.

• Marked as answer by Teja510 Thursday, September 25, 2014 4:39 PM
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:57 PM
  • got cha.. I understand that they overlapped with their code. But just want to  know is there any thing that I was missing. 

Thanks Oliver.. But I guess this is something where the improvement is quite needed in the OS of the phone. because there might be some apps,which need to really show them up when users are in the app.

Thanks & Regards Tejaswi Chandrapatla

Thursday, September 25, 2014 4:38 PM