TFS and Sharepoint Integration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. Our team is adopting the agile methodology. Currently, the requirements are in sharepoint and bugs in TFS. I'm currently customizing the WIT bug and task to incorporate tasks associated to user stories. Has anyone used TFS to create user stories and have them associated to tasks... and linked to bugs? Just trying to figure out if the requirements/users stories should be kept separate in Sharepoint and have tasks and bugs be contained in TFS.

Thank you,
    Kai

• Moved by Bill.Wang Thursday, July 2, 2009 5:36 AM Move to the correct forum. (From:Team Foundation Server - Setup)
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:55 PM

Answers

• Assuming that you're working with MSF Agile process template, the requirements can be managed with work items of the type "Scenario". An Scenario which represents a requirement can be associated to existing tasks and bugs (and to any other type of work item) by adding them as a link to the Scenario. For new tasks and bugs, you can use "Add related work item" option from the Team menu or from the contextual menu, clicking on the desired scenario; it will create the links for you.

If you want to use user stories you can simply write the description of the scenario in the form of an user story.

You can also consider to have a look at the Scrum for Team System process template (http://www.scrumforteamsystem.com ), which uses product backlog items to represent requirements and by default it uses the user story format.

And I think it's better not to rely on Sharepoint to manage requirements, because you'll not be able to use many of the features available when using work items: queries, iteration and area assigment, team assigment, automatic reporting (estimations, work remaining, etc.), integration with excel and project...

Hope it helps

Best regards

• Marked as answer by Bill.Wang Friday, July 3, 2009 2:46 AM
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 10:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Kai

I'm moving this thread to TFS general forum.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 5:36 AM
  • Assuming that you're working with MSF Agile process template, the requirements can be managed with work items of the type "Scenario". An Scenario which represents a requirement can be associated to existing tasks and bugs (and to any other type of work item) by adding them as a link to the Scenario. For new tasks and bugs, you can use "Add related work item" option from the Team menu or from the contextual menu, clicking on the desired scenario; it will create the links for you.

If you want to use user stories you can simply write the description of the scenario in the form of an user story.

You can also consider to have a look at the Scrum for Team System process template (http://www.scrumforteamsystem.com ), which uses product backlog items to represent requirements and by default it uses the user story format.

And I think it's better not to rely on Sharepoint to manage requirements, because you'll not be able to use many of the features available when using work items: queries, iteration and area assigment, team assigment, automatic reporting (estimations, work remaining, etc.), integration with excel and project...

Hope it helps

Best regards

• Marked as answer by Bill.Wang Friday, July 3, 2009 2:46 AM
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 10:19 AM
  • Jose,

This is very useful. I really appreciate your help. I will check out the scenario to use in the form of a user story. Thanks again for your help.

Warm regards,

Kai

Friday, July 3, 2009 2:42 AM