SSRS 2008 Report templates location RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I am trying to create report template in BIDS 2008 and tried the directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9\Common \IDE\PrivateAssemblies\ProjectItems\ReportProject to place my .rdl files. However, I do not have ProjectItems folder in the PrivateAssemblies.
    WHere should I look to place the rdl files so that I can reuse them as templates.

Further more does anyone know if report builder 3.0 supports the report templates?

Thanks in advance,

Marie 
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Marie,

About creating report templates in BIDS 2008,

by default, the report templates are stored in the path provided above. However, you can't see the projectitems folder. I have some suggestions as below for you to find it out.

1. You are using 64bit operating system. There are 2 program files folder, one of them is of x86. So, you should go to the path C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\ProjectItems\ReportProject to add your report templates. 

2. Click Start->All Programs->Microsoft SQL Server 2008->SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio, right click it and select Properties, it will pop up the SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio Properties window, in this window, Copy the path value in Target box,paste it into window File explorer address box and cut its "" and "devenv.exe", the path will be like ....................\Common 7\IDE, then click PrivateAssembiles->ProjectItems->ReportProject

3. The ultimate way is to search the file Report.rdl in your window drive, which is the default report template in BIDS.

About the templates of report builder 3.0,

this is currently not supported, and Microsoft will consider adding this feature in a future release of Reporting Services. Please place a vote for this on MS connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=253976&wa=wsignin1.0 .

thanks,
    Jerry
    • Marked as answer by LadySQLBI Monday, November 23, 2009 3:49 PM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 9:26 AM

All replies

• You could copy the template to 

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\ProjectItems\ReportProject

Regarding template for report builder 3.0,
    I think, you can copy the template to
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Report Builder 3.0\MapGallery\USA
    (however the template could only be a Map type)
    Bose
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 9:24 PM
  • Hi,

the problem is that there is no such directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9\Common \IDE\PrivateAssemblies\ProjectItems\ReportProject  to copy the files to, so I am looking for alternative.

As for the report builder 3 the templates are not of map type.

Marie
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:39 AM
  • Hi Marie,

About creating report templates in BIDS 2008,

by default, the report templates are stored in the path provided above. However, you can't see the projectitems folder. I have some suggestions as below for you to find it out.

1. You are using 64bit operating system. There are 2 program files folder, one of them is of x86. So, you should go to the path C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\ProjectItems\ReportProject to add your report templates. 

2. Click Start->All Programs->Microsoft SQL Server 2008->SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio, right click it and select Properties, it will pop up the SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio Properties window, in this window, Copy the path value in Target box,paste it into window File explorer address box and cut its "" and "devenv.exe", the path will be like ....................\Common 7\IDE, then click PrivateAssembiles->ProjectItems->ReportProject

3. The ultimate way is to search the file Report.rdl in your window drive, which is the default report template in BIDS.

About the templates of report builder 3.0,

this is currently not supported, and Microsoft will consider adding this feature in a future release of Reporting Services. Please place a vote for this on MS connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=253976&wa=wsignin1.0 .

thanks,
    Jerry
    • Marked as answer by LadySQLBI Monday, November 23, 2009 3:49 PM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 9:26 AM
  • I posted an article about SSRS template below

http://gauravsqlserver.blogspot.com/2011/02/custome-sql-report-templates.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Gaurav
    http://gauravsqlserver.blogspot.com
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:43 PM