none
Adding a Code language to VS2019 RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to write Spin code in VS2019. I know an extension for Spin was made for VS Code, but I have limited capacity on my computer. So, my main question here is, should I try to port the VS Code extension? Or should I make a VS2019 extension? In either case, how do I do it?

AwesomeCronk

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 2:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Awesomecronk,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

According to your description, I am afraid that it seems difficult to port the VS Code extension to VS2019.

As far as I know, Visual Studio Code is a very concise text editor but Visual Studio 2019 is a fully functional integrated development environment.

So, we suggest you try to make a VS2019 extension. You could follow the steps below to build your own extension:

# Visual studio support language by TextMate Grammars, you could search the web to find whether a TextMate bundle for the language is already exist, if not, you create new one.

# Then add any new TextMate Grammars for Visual Studio in the following folder:%userprofile%\.vs\Extensions

Under this base path, add the following folders if they apply to your situation:

Note: In Windows, %userprofile% resolves to the path: c:\Users\<user name>. If the Extensions folder does not exist on your system, you will need to create it. If the folder already exists, it will be hidden.

You could also refer more from: Add Visual Studio editor support for other languages.

Any feed back will expected.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 7:26 AM
  • So, I do not have the .vs folder under C:\Users\Aweso. I have the 'Hidden Items' checkbox filled in the File Explorer, and typing 'C:\Users\Aweso\.vs' yield the error: Windows can't find 'C:\Users\Aweso\.vs'. Please check the spelling and try again.

I also cannot find the Bundle Editor.

Thursday, June 27, 2019 12:17 AM
  • Hi Awesomecronk,

Thank you for reply.

>>Windows can't find 'C:\Users\Aweso\.vs'

If the folder doesn't exist, please create specified path manually. In my side, when I add a QT tool in my side, VS would create .vs/Extensions folder automatically.

>>I also cannot find the Bundle Editor.

The Bundle Editor is not for VS, we suggest you could use other related tools with bundle editor.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, June 28, 2019 6:49 AM
  • So, I am very overwhelmed by the massive amount of sparse information. I would like to know how to make a TextMate bundle. What syntax do I need to know? What tools do I need? Where do I get them?

AwesomeCronk

Friday, June 28, 2019 1:40 PM
  • Hi Awesomecronk,

Sorry for delay in reply.

>>How to make a TextMate bundle.What tools do I need? Where do I get them?

After my research, the text mate is a graphical text editor for macOS.

Please refer more: https://github.com/textmate/textmate

>>What syntax do I need to know?

The syntax for spin code. Please search existed at the Internet, or you could follow the below Docs to create a new one.

TextMate - Introduction to Language Grammars

Notes on how to create a Language Grammar and Custom Theme for a Textmate Bundle

Best Regards,

Dylan

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 8:35 AM
  • Is there a tool for Windows?

EDIT: As an alternative, what file extension do TextMate Bundles use? If I can find that, I can "hack" a file with Notepad.

AwesomeCronk

Thursday, July 25, 2019 1:15 PM