How do you change the width of the master page and the content page RRS feed

• Question

• User-445758669 posted

I have tried increasing the poster, footer, etc width in the style.css file and also in the default.aspx page but nothing happens.  Is there a way to increase the width of the site?

Saturday, February 2, 2008 1:14 PM

All replies

• User2069888697 posted

The size needs to be changed in the css, what you need to make sure of is that any divs you increase in size are not child Divs otherwise your changes may be ignored due to the size of the parent Div.

I believe the Body needs to be increased, then you can increase the divs whithin it.

If you have not done so yet get VWD2008 as it makes working with css files very easy. If you make a change it will actually tell you if it will be ignored by a setting on another Element,Control or Element Id setting.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 2:03 PM
  • User-445758669 posted

I had already changed the body width attributes in styles.css but nothing happens.  I even experimented with the #columnleft and #columnright width and margin attributes but again nothing changed.

ITMT, I will download VWD2008 and try it.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 2:23 PM
  • User2069888697 posted

Yep it's been awhile,  I just took a quik look at a default installation.

It seems it uses alot of   

width: 726px;

This is why I like to use %  with a container Div instead of px.

Anyway also make sure the background_main.jpg does not confuse you.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 3:06 PM
  • User-445758669 posted

Yes, I saw those before and I changed them to 926px.  But nothing changed.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 3:45 PM
  • User2069888697 posted

Strange I changed them it it works, I do not know for sure but if I recall with VWD2005 I think I had a confusing time because if I made the change and hit ctrl F5 the change did not show up until I hit the refresh button on the browser.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 3:59 PM
  • User-445758669 posted

This is the part I changed:

/* Main part of the page that holds contents */

#body

{

width: 976px;

margin-top: 7px;

margin-right: 0;

margin-left: 0;

position: relative;

}

Is that also what you changed?  I also closed all my browser instances and did not only a browser refresh, but also a Ctl F5 and and F5.  I also made sure I saved saved the StyleSheet.css after I made my changes.  BTW, I am making changes to css/Stylesheet.css.  Is that correct?

Saturday, February 2, 2008 7:16 PM
  • User-445758669 posted

I don't think the changes I am making in the stylesheet.css are being read.  I made some color changes and some border changes and nothing happens.  Where should that css file be referenced for it to work?

Saturday, February 2, 2008 7:31 PM
  • User-445758669 posted

I installed VWD2008 and then converted my Clubsite app to .net 3.5 and now when I do a build I get this error:

Error 24 It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

And I have no idea what causes it or how to fix it.  Can you help me on this?

Saturday, February 2, 2008 8:22 PM
  • User312496708 posted

You need to change the css/style of the top level DIV in the site. you can also think of adding these style in the body tag

Saturday, February 2, 2008 8:29 PM
  • User2069888697 posted

I am sorry to here you are having so many problems.  You can reset the target framework to 2.0 by going into Website|Start Options in the menu then goto Build and change the Target Framework. In case you are unaware VWD2008 can be used to develope not only in the new 3.5 framwork but can be used to develope 2.0 and 3.0 Projects. All the new intellisense, the split window and css management will work.

As far as changes to the css, it should be the clubsite.css as long as you are talking about the original Club Starter Kit. This is the one I have changed above.

If you are talking about the Codeplex version it could be a bit more complex as there is a folder with a Stylesheet.css and css files in the themes folder. I do not use this one, but I do have a test installation on my system. I will take a look at that one next.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 4:21 PM
  • User2069888697 posted

Ok, now that the superbowl is over.  I took a look at the codeplex version and the changes needed are in the Themes|Clubsite folder, the format.css has the body and other parts that would need to be increased.

On another note I did switch the Target Framework to 3.5 to see if it would run and I had no problem.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 10:43 PM