none
Having issue registering DLL files locally to .net v2.0.50727 on Windows 8 for a network-ran application RRS feed

• Question

• I have a software application that is ran over the network through a shared directory on the server and by mapping a drive on the workstation to that share. The problem I have is trying to register several DLLs locally to the Windows 8 workstation. When I run the cmd prompt as administrator and try to register one of the DLL files manually, I get:

“RegAsm : error RA0000 : Unable to locate input assembly ‘v(my mapped drive):\directory\filename.dll’ or one of its dependencies.

The workstation is connected to a domain and the user is a member of the following groups:

Account Operators, Domain Admins, Domain Users, Remote Desktop Users

Server is Server 2008 R2 SP1

Any ideas on how to get the DLLs registered locally?

Friday, January 4, 2013 12:47 PM

Answers

• You might be able to test security by granting full trust to the share.  Note: I do not recommend this for production, only testing to determine if security is the true cause.

To grant trust: (note the slash directions)

caspol -m -ag 1.2 -url file:\\serverName\shareName/* FullTrust

Then to undo, you must list the groups

caspol -m -lg

Find locate your specfic group and remove it using it's full identifer (for example only)

caspol -m -rg 1.2.3

This signature unintentionally left blank.

Monday, January 7, 2013 12:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

do you have activated .NET 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0) on Windows 8? Follow this link in case you don't: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj159133.aspx

Best regards,

Chris

Friday, January 4, 2013 2:51 PM
  • I doubled checked, to make sure according to the article you listed and yes, the "includes .net 2.0" are selected on the Windows 8 machine. Still not allowing me to register the DLLs though. 
    Friday, January 4, 2013 4:59 PM
  • “RegAsm : error RA0000 : Unable to locate input assembly ‘v(my mapped drive):\directory\filename.dll’ or one of its dependencies.

I would guess the problem is "one of it's dependencies" ... Some other DLL is missing, or cannot be loaded by RegASM due to security.

Friday, January 4, 2013 10:10 PM
  • I believe the "security" part of your reply is correct, I just need to know how to unblock it. There are other workstations that are Windows 7 and XP on that same domain that have no issues registering the DLLs and can run the software application with no issues. 
    Friday, January 4, 2013 10:14 PM
  • Hi Shonnam,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

To keep your project going, I suggest you copy the DLLs to local machine and register it again.

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, January 7, 2013 10:57 AM
  • You might be able to test security by granting full trust to the share.  Note: I do not recommend this for production, only testing to determine if security is the true cause.

To grant trust: (note the slash directions)

caspol -m -ag 1.2 -url file:\\serverName\shareName/* FullTrust

Then to undo, you must list the groups

caspol -m -lg

Find locate your specfic group and remove it using it's full identifer (for example only)

caspol -m -rg 1.2.3

Monday, January 7, 2013 12:55 PM
  • Hi Shonnam,

I have marked Nick's suggestion as answer, if it don't work on your side, please feel free to follow up.

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:15 AM