none
Server-side PDF-conversion as a part of online service RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

We are currently working with an online service where downloadable docx files (these are generated without using Office tools) are offered to users.

We would also like to offer downloadable PDF-files (converted from the existing docx files). However, we are unable to to find robust tools for the conversion. Of course, the Word itself is able to does this nicely (and we could use e.g. PowerShell-script to do this programmatically).

We have tried to interpret the license to see if this would possible, but based on "Considerations for server-side Automation of Office" -page (I would add link here, but the forum informs we ironically that "Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account") it does not seem allowed: "Current licensing guidelines prevent Office applications from being used on a server to service client requests, unless those clients themselves have licensed copies of Office."

So, I would love to hear if there were some license / tool that would make this feasible? Are we missing something?

P.S. We are aware of "Word Automation Services" based on Sharepoint, but this feels like a complete overkill for a simple use-case of converting docx-files to PDF.

• Edited by Pyry Lahti Tuesday, February 2, 2016 3:07 PM re-phrase
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 3:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Pyry,

Based on my understanding, a better way may not convert the Word document to PDF document on the server side. You may consider to enable vender program of Word documents which should provide the PDF document too.

If the program was developed by yourself, you may consider some technology which can generate the PDF documents directly.

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 3:07 AM

All replies