Sharing not binary files between many projects RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    We are developing an Javascript frameword that hardly and quickly changes, and simulatesly there are two projects ( they are team projects too ) on top of this framework,
    So we need to share it's folders and files between this three team projects,
    Any solutions?
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 12:09 PM

All replies

• You can use several approaches for this, here are two ideas:

Using workspaces: have the shared code in a common folder in the source control, map that folder in everyone's workspaces and have your projects reference the code using the relative path defined in the workspace. Advantages: when you change the common code, everyone receives the changes; no further work needed. Disadvantages: when you change the common code, everyone receives the changes; all your projects are tied to the same version of the code

Using branches: as the previous one, have the shared code in a common folder in the source control. Branch that folder into any project that needs to use the shared code. Advantages: it's much more flexible since you're not commited to work with the same version of the shared code in all your projects. Disadvantages: you've to do the work of maintaining the branches, merging from the common folder for each project, when you need to have the latest version. But if you don't modify your child branches, you can merge overwriting everything, it'll be almost automatic.

Hope it helps...

Best regards

Thursday, November 26, 2009 3:16 PM
  • Hi phpcs,

I think both the suggestions supplied by Jose are very convenient , did you have a try?

Best Regards,
    Ruiz
    Ruiz Yi MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com Best regards, Ruiz
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 7:58 AM
  • I didn't find any common folder in my source folder, neither the relative path in adding refrences,
    I've to mention that there are 4 folders to share and I cen't share only files because there's more than 1000 files so I want to share the whole folder of theirs.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 7:18 AM
  • Hi phpcs,

For Suggestion1:

In source control, the structure is like :

$/
       $/CommonTeamProject/JavascriptSolution/SharedProject
       $/DevelopTeamProject1/Solution1
       $/DevelopTeamProject2/Solution2

For example, we map  $/DevelopTeamProject1/Solution1 to local "D:\Solution1",  $/DevelopTeamProject1/Solution1 to "D:\Solution2", then we can map  $/CommonTeamProject/JavascriptSolution/SharedProject to "D:\Solution1\SharedProject" and "D:\Solution2\SharedProject"

Best Regards,
    Ruiz

Ruiz Yi MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com Best regards, Ruiz
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 4:13 AM