Setup stalls while installing .net framework 3.5 RRS feed

• Question

• While installing VS 2008 Express setup,  the system stalls (CPU usage 100%)  with task " Currently installing (1 of 5): Microsoft  .net Framework 3.5. 

I suspect it may because of not enough space on  drive C:  It has less than 2.0 GB.  The install message indicated that 1.5 GB required on drive C: and 400mb required on  Drive E:    I set the install directory to  drive   E:/program files/Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0 because of low space on C:

Thanks for any help.

Friday, August 3, 2007 9:25 PM

Answers

• There is a bug with our progress bar that shows that it will sometimes freeze when installing 3.5.  Rest assured that 3.5 has not stalled but does take a significant amount of time to install.  You should be fine with 2.0 GB left.

Friday, August 3, 2007 11:43 PM

All replies

• There is a bug with our progress bar that shows that it will sometimes freeze when installing 3.5.  Rest assured that 3.5 has not stalled but does take a significant amount of time to install.  You should be fine with 2.0 GB left.

Friday, August 3, 2007 11:43 PM
  • After 1 hour of CPU at 3~5%, I guessed that yes, .net framework installation stalled...and cancelled

Sunday, August 19, 2007 11:04 PM

• I am having the exact same problem.
    With this bug, how long "should" .NET Framework 3.5 take to install?  30min? 1hr?  

UPDATE: I let it sit for approx. 45min / 1hour (minimal hard drive activity was observed). Eventually it came back to life and finished the install. I am now up and running fine. [Pentium 3.2GHz, 3GB RAM, XP-SP2 Professional]

Monday, August 20, 2007 12:19 PM
  • I gave up on 2008 and installed 2005. Please tell me when 2008 is bugged out

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 1:32 AM
  • Same Fucking thing happed to me

Thursday, September 6, 2007 8:46 PM
  •  

I can understand it takes a significant amount of time, but after 4 hours I am really wondering. I'm sorry but that long leads me as user to kill the install (as to make it worse it can't cancel the component install already in progress).
    Sunday, September 9, 2007 11:21 PM
  • A workaround for this issue is to disable the network card just prior to the launch of the installer and re-enable it when the setup gui is shown on screen.
    Monday, September 28, 2009 1:28 PM
  • A workaround for this issue is to disable the network card just prior to the launch of the installer and re-enable it when the setup gui is shown on screen.
    Has anyone had luck doing this? I am also having the same issue and I was wondering if any work arounds existed because it's been sitting for about 7 hours on my screen and it's been stalled at 100% I don't think it should take this long for a 200~ MB file.
    Monday, December 7, 2009 2:36 PM
  • I am installing 3.5 and its has already been installing for 1 hr and hasn't gone anywhere, should it take this long, Cos we all seem to have the same problem.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 6:16 PM
  • I have got the same ____ problem
    Monday, January 4, 2010 6:17 PM