none
How to disable the IR projector? RRS feed

• Question

• Just curious,  is there a way to disable the IR projector using SDK 1.0? Something like projector.disable()? I know beta 2 won't do the work so I am wondering if v1.0 adds this feature.

Thanks,

Neil

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• in v1, make sure to call the .Stop() method on the instance of the KinectSensor instance. Do this before your applicaiton closes.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 11:58 PM
  • As far as I know Carmine is right you usually turn off the IR projector by calling the stop method like this:

sensorvariablenamehere.stop()

But I dont know of anything to specifically stop the IR projector while kinect device is being used and/or thats safe to do.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:25 PM
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:24 PM
  • Hi Carmine,

Thanks for the reply. But just as The Thinker said, is there a way to stop the IR projector while other device is working. Just like a switch to turn on and off the IR projector very fast.

Thanks,

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:21 PM
  • THe projector projects the IR beam so if you turn it off the depth stream probably cannot be captured and skeleton tracking might cease to exist or be horrible.  Also, the projecter IR sends out a signal to be captured by the receiver which captures the data.

Please explain why you want it turned off so we can make sure you app work to its best potential.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Thursday, March 1, 2012 1:06 PM
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 1:05 PM
  • Hi Thinker,

I want to use three kinects capture a scene but they interfere with each other pretty badly. I was thinking that turning off/on the IR projector one by one would be the answer, suppose the SDK support this feature. Besides mechanical method, is there a way to do this fast?

Thank you very much,

Neil 

Thursday, March 1, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Try what carmine is saying for each Kinect by assigning the number of Kinect sensor from sensors(sensorindex) property to target that specific Kinect.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 7:47 PM
  • To turn off the IR, you have to call Stop on the sensor you are not using. Once the Kinect is started, the IR will be turned on.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 12:22 AM