The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

Compatibility: Do Universal Windows Apps (designed for Windows 10) run on Windows 8 mobile phones (hardware)? RRS feed

• Question

• What I want to know: What is the cheapest mobile phone I can get to run (test) my Universal Windows App? Do Windows 8 phones support "simple" Universal (Windows 10) store Apps?

Background

I am developing a Universal Windows App on a Windows 10 PC. I want to make it available for all Windows Phones that connect to the Windows store, and so I would like to test it on a real mobile phone (apparently my laptop does not support the emulator). I know the Lumia 950 supports Windows 10, but my guess is most users are still running Windows 8. I hear Microsoft will be rolling out updates later this year, but I cannot wait for that, and cannot assume that every device will be updated.

If you are a developer running Windows 10 on a PC and testing your app on a mobile phone (other than Lumia 950) would you kindly share what the hardware (phone) is? Does anyone know for sure whether any Windows 8 based mobile phone can access the same Windows store I get on my PC and run Universal Windows Apps? Do I have to specifically target Windows 8 phones on my build?

I spent a long time searching the web and Microsoft sites but could not get any clear answer, so any help will be much appreciated. Thank you!

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 8:13 AM

Answers

• Hallo,

It is not possible to run windows 10 universal developed apps on a windows 8(8.1) platform. But a windows 8.1 app will work on windows 10(Don't recommend it ).

The cheapest device you can get is I think a lumia 630 or 530. I do know that the 630 has the windows 10 preview build. the 630 is in my country(Netherlands) €99,-

• Marked as answer by zasubicks Wednesday, October 14, 2015 10:03 AM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2015 9:07 AM

All replies

• Hallo,

It is not possible to run windows 10 universal developed apps on a windows 8(8.1) platform. But a windows 8.1 app will work on windows 10(Don't recommend it ).

The cheapest device you can get is I think a lumia 630 or 530. I do know that the 630 has the windows 10 preview build. the 630 is in my country(Netherlands) €99,-

• Marked as answer by zasubicks Wednesday, October 14, 2015 10:03 AM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2015 9:07 AM
  • Thank you! With your answer I was also able to find this page:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-supported-phones

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 10:04 AM