none
How to create custom OS image for Windows 10 IOT enterprises

Question

• Hi All,

I  need to create a custom OS image for Windows 10 IoT/Embedded Enterprises based on my hardware(whether it may be ARM or Intel).

So based on my hardware i need to create custome OS image for Windows 10 Embedded OS not for normal Windows 10.

And after creating OS image how do i deploy it in the target device?

It would be great if someone helps me in this, Since am new to this process.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, February 07, 2018 10:30 AM

All replies

• You deploy the image with dism.exe, and specific instructions on how you use that tool will depend on what media you're deploying to.

All the help you need is in the documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/iot/iot-core-manufacturing-guide

• Proposed as answer by Sean LimingMVP Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:19 AM
    Wednesday, February 07, 2018 1:20 PM
  • Hi Jeremiah,

Thanks for your response.

I need one clarification: In the above link it explains about the IOT core, Will this work for IOT Enterprise also?

And i have one more doubt: Before deploying how do we create the custom OS files required to install it in target device? 

Regards,

Wednesday, February 07, 2018 1:56 PM
  • Windows IoT Enterprise doesn't support ARM processors. Very similar question asked on other forums.  The question has been answered in another forum - https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/60e77d2f-33d3-44c3-8bf1-d03cf187c5f7/configure-an-os-package?forum=wes8

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Wednesday, February 07, 2018 5:10 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply....

If it doesn't support for ARM processors then which one i can use which supports both ARM and Intel processors?

My query is:

I have an hardware(It may be ARM or Intel), so based on my hardware i need to create custom OS file and after creating those files i need to place those files in traget device and install it.

So i need help in creating those files for Windows 10 IOT Enterprises?

In the link given, it says creating an Answer file using SIM tool. Will it be having only one file to transfer it to target device and to install it in target deive?

Thanks,

Thursday, February 08, 2018 6:27 AM
  • Hi Mruthyunjaya

Windows IoT Core supports ARM or Intel proccessors, please refer to Suggested Boards and SoCs.

In the link given by jeremiah, it will be having only one file named Flash.FFU in the built product folder, please see here.

Best Regards,

Michael

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 08, 2018 9:34 AM
  • Thanks for your reply Michael,

It means you are saying that there will be one file(Flash.FFU) which will be transferred/copied to target device and install it right?

Best Regards,

Thursday, February 08, 2018 10:44 AM
  • Correct, but one FFU per processor architecture. If you build an image for ARM, it will only run on a ARM processor. 

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Thursday, February 08, 2018 4:30 PM
  • Hi Mruthyunjaya,

I would also suggest you review your requirements with a Microsoft Reseller. Many of these companies offer both chip and OS recommendations based on what you are trying to accomplish.

Find a Windows IoT Partner

Sincerely,

IoTGirl 

Thursday, February 08, 2018 6:51 PM
  • Hi Sean,

Thanks for your response.......

As per your confirmation, For 'Windows IOT core' it will create one FFU file which can be used to intall it in taget system.

So in the same way for 'Windows IOT Enterprises' it will create one answer file called Unattended.xml file using SIM tool as per the above link given you and that the only one file will be used to install it in target system right!!!

Is my understanding correct?

Best Regards,

Friday, February 09, 2018 6:59 AM
  • Sean Stated "Correct, but one FFU per processor architecture. If you build an image for ARM, it will only run on a ARM processor. "  So you will need one FFU for X86 and one FFU for ARM for a minimum of 2 FFUs.  NOTE: if you are targeting multiple boards with other different hardware you may need to roll FFUs with different driver sets as well.
    Friday, February 09, 2018 4:24 PM
  • Windows 10 IoT Enterprise and Windows 10 IoT Core are different build processes.

Windows 10 IoT Enterprise, you use SIM to help create the custom configuration set, and can only build for x86 and x64.

Windows 10 IoT Core, has a number of tool requirements and the ADK Addonkit to build images for ARM, x86, and x64. JJ already provided you a link to the build process: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/iot/iot-core-manufacturing-guide

Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:16 AM
  • Hi,

I understood that we will have .FFU file created using Windows 10 IOT Core.

But For Windows 10 IOT Enterprise we will create a one Answer file (Unattended.xml) using SIM tool.

So my question is, Will this be only one file which is used to install it in target device for Windows 10 IOT Enterprise or still some other files also required?

Regards,

Thursday, February 15, 2018 12:29 PM
  • Hi Can anyone give me the clarification about the above query.

It would be great if someone help me....

Thanks & Regards,

Friday, February 16, 2018 10:21 AM
  • ok, first I want you to understand that the link I provided earlier has the answers you're after.  You could have had your answers days ago if you had simply taken the time to read the documentation.

You create a FFU file and you flash that to your install media or disk, depending on the platform you're deploying it onto.  A .ffu file is one file with the .ffu extension.  If you build it properly, it includes everything you need for the platform to which it is deployed.  Drivers, software, settings, everything.  You do not copy that file to the installation media; the FFU file contains sector-by-sector information that must be applied to the installation media or installation disk sector-by-sector.  you use dism.exe to do this as I described earlier. 

The documentation I linked to earlier contains all of this information, including instructions on how to do it all, step by step.

You can also deploy a minimal FFU file then install things to the devices afterwards, and as I'm sure you can imagine, this takes more time if you have a lot of devices, is more prone to error if you have a lot of devices, and does not scale well at all.

Please read the documentation.  ALL of your questions are answered in there.

• Proposed as answer by Sean LimingMVP Saturday, February 17, 2018 6:02 PM
    Friday, February 16, 2018 1:13 PM
  • Hi Mruthyunjaya,

As Jeremiah states, the questions you are asking indicate that you have not followed the suggestions already given and this makes it very difficult to move forward.

In the light that the specific answers given do not seem to be what you are looking for, maybe it would be worthwhile for you to review the larger guide for your Windows 10 Enterprise answer file question at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/

If you are actually using DISM and the steps described in the guide, I would recommend starting a new thread with the exact steps you are taking and the error codes you are receiving or creating a feedback incident with the feedback app so that the relevant files could be collected on your behalf.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, February 16, 2018 6:02 PM