Streaming from native C++ application to HTML5 RRS feed

• Question

• Or app has Media foundation based capture that encodes audio and video to .wmv (VC-1 or H.264) from D3D surface and audio source. Application also has very simple HTTP server done with HTTP Server API. Now  i would like to stream in real-time to a HTML5 <video> tag. How should i do this ?
    Use sockects and do something like http://systemsdaemon.blogspot.com/2011/03/live-streaming-video-tutorial-for.html ?

Or is there a filter or something like sinkwriter that can stream to browser ?

The stream is continous (lives till application is open) and there is one single client (browser) monitoring multiple streams.

Thanks

I have a need, a need for speed
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:07 PM

All replies

• Anybody has any ideas how to do it ? I would realy like to skip the encoder ... or should i just use encoder SDK ?
    How could i do a "device" like output, so that it would be like a live stream, or something like syphon on macs, them i could just use it in encoder and stream it as a web cam.

syphon is realy great btw.

http://code.google.com/p/syphon-framework/ 

it would be nice to have such functionality on win platform

Regards,

T

Thursday, September 1, 2011 7:19 PM
  • To enable something for the video tag, you just need an HTTP server with the video data as the payload.  A problem you may run into is format support -- I do not know of any browser that supports wmv in the video tag.  MP4 is supported in IE9, but the regular MP4 format is difficult to make work for live streaming because of certain required boxes that can only be generated once the entire piece of content is known.

I have witnessed WebM doing live streaming in the video tag, so that might be your best bet.  I do not know how good the live streaming support is, and media foundation does not have any native WebM codecs.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:53 PM
  • Thanks Matt,

will try WebM, too bad MF has no such functionality. Then there is no way to stream to Windows Phone ?

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 4:57 PM
  • Silverlight is available on Windows Phone, and I imagine there would be a way to get live streaming working with that.  It would not be HTML5 though.

Thursday, October 27, 2011 10:46 PM
  • Silverlight would also be ok, but I have no idea how to do that :) Maybe i should ask for All-In-One Code sample
    Friday, October 28, 2011 8:48 AM