none
Multiple entries matched, please click to resolve - Person/Group Column RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We have a list that include Person or Group column with users account. This is on O365. On some items when you try to edit, the Person column is showing an error message Multiple entries matched, please click to resolve.

This is stopping the item from being saved OOB. But from the custom UI interacting with the list, the column can be updated via code (JSOM/CSOM). 

As far as i can see all users are in the same domain. The only thing i spotted is some account don't have an email address, so empty email address field can be seen as duplicate items. Could this be the reason? I have done some search not sure if they related, mainly based on accounts on multiple domain.

Hope someone can help 

Monday, March 13, 2017 4:17 AM

Answers

• I got around this issue by setting the Person/Group column to hidden. Now the form can be edited. In my case the Person column is only used from a UI environment to store favourites. 

Having looked at this a bit i believe the error message is flagging users that no longer exist in AD, even though they still in SharePoint. 

• Marked as answer by Mike_tech Wednesday, March 15, 2017 5:38 AM
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike_tech

Based on my knowledge, empty email address won't be treated as same values, so it should not cause duplicates.
    Does your enviroment have multiple Identity providers?
    or maybe you can try to type in the user name in a User Column to see how SharePoint resolve it, then to see if there is any common points between these results.
    Just a train of thought. Hope it helps.

--Jeff

Monday, March 13, 2017 8:55 AM
  • Many thanks for your reply and clarifying the email field.

Not sure if there are multiple providers, but looking closer at the traffic inspector when typing in user names in the user column, some users have the identity provider blank, and the "IsResolved" parameter false. 

This is the json format:

{
    			"Key": "i:0#.f|membership|testuser@domain.com",
    			"Description": "i:0#.f|membership|testuser@domain.com",
    			"DisplayText": "Test User",
    			"EntityType": "",
    			"ProviderDisplayName": "",
    			"ProviderName": "",
    			"IsResolved": false,
    			"EntityData": {
    				"Email": "testuser@domain.com",
    				"SPUserID": "99999",
    				"AccountName": "i:0#.f|membership|testuser@domain.com",
    				"PrincipalType": "User"
    			},
    			"MultipleMatches": []
    		}

I guess my question is the above the cause of the issue, is there a workaround allowing unresolved users or does this mean only resolved users can be entered in this column...

Thanks

Monday, March 13, 2017 11:36 AM
  • In my opinion, this issue is more like about your form based authentication. Just pay more attention on it.

--Jeff

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 6:15 AM
  • I got around this issue by setting the Person/Group column to hidden. Now the form can be edited. In my case the Person column is only used from a UI environment to store favourites. 

Having looked at this a bit i believe the error message is flagging users that no longer exist in AD, even though they still in SharePoint. 

• Marked as answer by Mike_tech Wednesday, March 15, 2017 5:38 AM
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:40 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Glad to hear you have resolved this issue, I would suggest you can mark it as answer so that it could help others who stuck with the same issue in the forum.

Thanks

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:12 AM