none
Kinect can't detect hair using depth camera RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, im new to developing applications using Kinect, and recently faced a small problem.

I'm working on a project that involves using the Kinect on a top-down perspective. We are currently having issues because the depth sensor, simply because it tracks the shoulders, but it doesn't track the hair. Its important to mention that the distance from the sensor is around 3-4 meters

Do any of you guys ever had this problem? What are the causes to it? My initial guess was that this was due to a certain loss of sensitivity of the Depth sensor, but notice that it tracks the shoulders very well, and they are further away from the camera. Is this related to the properties of hair as a material?

Edit: Screenshot with image

'm trying to use only depth, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The problem is not really related to the way the camera is, but that the sensor stop tracking hair after a certain distance, and continue to be able to track other stuff. Here is an image to illustrate.

http:// i.imgur.com / 4AyUZ7l.png (remove the spaces)

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 2:48 AM

All replies

• I'm trying to upload a picture but apparently I don't have permission to do it, even though I confirmed my mail. How to proceed? 
    Tuesday, December 2, 2014 3:11 AM
  • link to a photo you have posted on some other site until permissions go through.

Are you trying to use body tracking in this scenario or only depth? Body tracking is not supported in top-down mounted scenario's. If you are getting any type of body data, understand that it is an artifact, but it isn't going to be reliable. The training data for body tracking is based on the sensor mounted horizontally with gravity down.

As with any IR based system, doing your own computer vision based on depth data can be checked against the infrared stream. If the IR data has very high intensity values, the object is reflective where completely 0's will be absorbed. Keep in mind, if the floor is highly reflective(floor polished) this can affect some of the data as well. In a highly reflective environment, you can sometime setup a tenting system to help filter the noise.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 6:27 PM
  • I'm trying to use only depth, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The problem is not really related to the way the camera is, but that the sensor stop tracking hair after a certain distance, and continue to be able to track other stuff. Here is an image to illustrate.

http:// i.imgur.com / 4AyUZ7l.png (remove the spaces)

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 10:34 PM
  • I have dark hair that the depth camera really "doesn't like". I've noticed on other people (even a very slightly brighter shade) the camera returns depth data fine.

Even though we can't see infrared light it is still part of the same spectrum as red green and blue. Material needs to be able to reflect the infrared light back to the Kinect in order for it to get proper depth data.

Again this can be checked in the infrared view. There have been times where I've worn black shirt and black pants, and in the infrared view the pants show up dark while the shirt is bright white.

Hope that helps!

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 11:32 PM