none
Would we build an add-in for this? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

We are working on an application for, ideally, all of the workloads offered in Office 365 - Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Planner, SharePoint Online, PowerBI, Delve, etc

We need to add a script to the head section of the Office 365 pages for each of these workloads in order for our application to work

Do we want to build an add-in for this purpose? Is this the best approach? Or is there a better way?

Thanks

Ira Michael Blonder

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 4:42 PM

Answers

• If I understand correctly you're trying to add some code to the header of, for example, the Word online editor? If so, there is no proper way to do this. There are three options that would fail for different reasons:

1. Since add-ins are actually hosted in separate iFrames within the Office application they cannot change any of the code of the parent application.
    2. The Office online applications do not allow iFraming themselves, meaning that they cannot be referenced in an iFrame of your own solution.
    3. There is no way to intercept and edit the content of any of these Office online apps as they are secured over https.

Does that at least clarify things a bit?

Jesse

Friday, May 27, 2016 10:16 AM

All replies

• If I understand correctly you're trying to add some code to the header of, for example, the Word online editor? If so, there is no proper way to do this. There are three options that would fail for different reasons:

1. Since add-ins are actually hosted in separate iFrames within the Office application they cannot change any of the code of the parent application.
    2. The Office online applications do not allow iFraming themselves, meaning that they cannot be referenced in an iFrame of your own solution.
    3. There is no way to intercept and edit the content of any of these Office online apps as they are secured over https.

Does that at least clarify things a bit?

Jesse

Friday, May 27, 2016 10:16 AM
  • Hello Jesse:

Thank you for this information. Just to clarify: we are not trying to add code to the header of the Word document. We are trying to add code to the head section of the HTML page published by Office Online that presents the user with the Word document. Is this also not possible?

Thanks

Ira Michael Blonder 

Friday, May 27, 2016 10:33 AM
  • Correct, that is exactly how I understood the question. Adding code to the header of a document would actually be possible but what you're asking is not unfortunately. Where I said edit content I meant edit the code of the Office Online application :)

Best,

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 3:48 PM