Xamarin.Designer.DesignerException + Fix RRS feed

• Question

• User41191 posted

Anyone seen this before in the Android layout designer...

Mono.VisualStudio.Shell.ShellPackage Error: 0 : Connection failed Xamarin.Designer.DesignerException: The operation failed due to an internal error: com.android.sdklib.devices.DeviceManager.getDevices(I)Ljava/util/List;. at Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.JavaProcessConnection.GetResponse(BinaryMessage message, Int32 timeout) at Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.JavaProcessConnection.DoConnect()

//Mod: Please see: http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/14344/ for work around

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 9:22 PM

All replies

• User9224 posted

I'm getting the same thing in Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 10:42 PM
  • User42040 posted

I am having the same issue. I am attending a university course now trying to work through it.

I have Version 4.12 and the problem is manifesting itself in both Visual Studio 2013 and 2012 Ultimate editions.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 3:19 AM
  • User20789 posted

I am getting exactly the same error after having installed the latest version of Xamarin.Android yesterday. I'm now having to use Eclipse to do my layouts. Help!

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 8:06 AM
  • User19386 posted

I'm having the exact same issue using Visual Studio Pro 2012, version 11.0.61030.00 Update 4.

Moreover, I am able to access the Source tab and make modifications to my axml. However when I try to save it, I have this unusual popup asking me the replace the file and then if I click on Yes, it shows another one saying " Microsoft Visual Studio - Connection closed".

The file doesn't seems to be saved, but if I close it saying that I don't want to save (because I can't anyway). Then after I re-open it, the changes I made are in fact applied. Although, I cannot use Ctr+Z or any other useful features.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 3:23 PM
  • User35864 posted

Im a also having the same issue, I am trying to evaluate the product but I have ground to a halt for now.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 3:52 PM
  • User19386 posted

@RichardFriend? Well, it was working well before the last update. Although, it is the second consecutive time where an update breaks something. Last one was the http://docs.xamarin.com/releases/android/xamarin.android4/xamarin.android4.10/ update. I'm not sure if you could install the previous version, that would help you evaluating a product that works well.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 3:56 PM
  • User35864 posted

This is the first version I have installed, I have run into so many issues here are just a few http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9504760/error-initializing-the-debugger-mono-debugging-soft-disconnectedexception

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/11451/android-system-io-compression-dll-not-available-on-windows

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/2594/connection-to-the-layout-renderer-failed-after-today-s-update

:-(

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 4:05 PM
  • User42139 posted

Same issue here :(
    Anybody found a work around?

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 6:43 PM
  • User9224 posted

in the XamarinAndroid log file I have the following

Xamarin.Designer.DesignerException: The operation failed due to an internal error: com.android.sdklib.devices.DeviceManager.getDevices(I)Ljava/util/List;. at Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.JavaProcessConnection.GetResponse(BinaryMessage message, Int32 timeout) at Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.JavaProcessConnection.DoConnect() Mono.VisualStudio.Shell.ShellPackage Error: 0 : [2014-03-05 22:28:01.4] Session initialization failed System.Exception: Connection closed at Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.JavaProcessConnection.GetResponse(BinaryMessage message, Int32 timeout) at Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.JavaProcessConnection.SendMessage(BinaryMessage message) at Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.DesignerProject.EnsureLoaded() at Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.AndroidRenderSession.InitSession(DesignerSessionParams refreshConfiguration)>

and in the Xamarin Studio log I have

Xamarin.Designer.DesignerException: The operation failed due to an internal error: com.android.sdklib.devices.DeviceManager.getDevices(I)Ljava/util/List;. at Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.JavaProcessConnection.GetResponse(BinaryMessage message, Int32 timeout) at Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.JavaProcessConnection.DoConnect() ERROR [2014-03-05 22:20:31Z]: Session initialization failed System.Exception: Connection closed at Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.JavaProcessConnection.GetResponse(BinaryMessage message, Int32 timeout) at Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.JavaProcessConnection.SendMessage(BinaryMessage message) at Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.DesignerProject.EnsureLoaded() at Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.AndroidRenderSession.InitSession(DesignerSessionParams refreshConfiguration)>

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 10:38 PM
  • User9224 posted

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=18193 has fixed it for me

downloaded the version of the android sdk tools folder from this thread and overwrote what i had and Visual Studio and Xamarin Studio are both now working again

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 10:45 PM
  • User41443 posted

I had the exact same issue, which was resolved with patch. Also clicking on the "Mode" button in layout designer used result in a error with the following stack System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.Selectors.ModeSelector.AddModes(Menu m, ResourceQualifier q, String resetLabel) at Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.Selectors.ModeSelector.CreteMenu() at Xwt.MenuButton.OnCreateMenu() at Xwt.MenuButton.<>cDisplayClass1.b0() at Xwt.Toolkit.Invoke(Action a)

Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:48 AM
  • User25759 posted

Please see: http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/14344/ for work around

Thursday, March 6, 2014 6:34 AM
  • User42645 posted

Actually @JamesMontemagno? the work around doesn't work pretty much on latest build 60.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 1:11 PM
  • User25759 posted

@igorcosta it has now been fixed, so you will simply need to update your Android SDK Tools to 22.6.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 4:02 PM
  • User42645 posted

@JamesMontemagno I've tried, but still dead in the water, fix update didn't fix the problem yet.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 7:04 PM
  • User25759 posted

@igorcosta Can you let me know what version of Xamarin.Android you are running? In visual studio go to Help-> About Microsoft Visual Studio then scroll down to Xamarin.Android. Then open up the Android SDK Manager and double check that you have all the latest sdk tools installed. What exactly is it doing? Can you share more information and screens?

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 8:05 PM
  • User42645 posted

Hi @JamesMontemagno? there you go attached a screenshot.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 9:05 PM
  • User25759 posted

This is a different issue, I would open support case and bug as well.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 5:55 AM
  • User42645 posted

@JamesMontemagno? Yep, But I just fixed the issue.

For those who come to this thread, please update to latest revision 4.2.3 Build(60) and Xamarin.Android 4.12.2 and make sure you have Android SDK 22.6 revision 3 at least to make it work.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 1:58 PM