none
HCK controller, studio 2.1 RTM QFE 4 installation fails with error 1603 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have lenovo Z580 laptop with Windows Server 2008 x64 r2 SP1 used for HCK 2.1 studio and controller.

HCK 2.1 QFE 4 can't be installed with error code 1603

However, QFE 3 can be successfully installed.

I've re-downloaded HCK 2 times and restored clean OS image between attempted.

Error section shows the following:

Error::
    ************************************************************ERROR REPORT (Exception levels including inner exceptions. Level 0 denotes outermost exception)
    CAQuietExec:  
    CAQuietExec:  ------------START OF ERROR REPORT------------
    CAQuietExec:  
    CAQuietExec:  Level            : 0
    CAQuietExec:  Error Message    : SQL client components are required for this operation, please install SQL client tools onto the machine that this operation is being carried on and try again.
    CAQuietExec:  Source           : Void CreateEnterprise(Microsoft.DistributedAutomation.DSLink, Microsoft.DistributedAutomation.ServiceCollection, Boolean)
    CAQuietExec:  Inner Exception  : System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040154): Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {100202C1-E260-11CF-AE68-00AA004A34D5} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).
    CAQuietExec:     at Microsoft.DistributedAutomation.SqlDataStore.SqlDataStoreSetup.IsValidSqlServer(String serverName, String databaseName)
    CAQuietExec:  Call Stack       :    at Microsoft.DistributedAutomation.SqlDataStore.SqlDataStoreSetup.CreateEnterprise(DSLink identityDSLink, ServiceCollection serviceList, Boolean standaloneInstall)
    CAQuietExec:     at Microsoft.DistributedAutomation.EnterpriseSetup.EnterpriseSetupHelper.CreateEnterprise(EnterpriseConfiguration enterpriseConfig, DSLink dsLink, String setupFilePath, Boolean standaloneInstall)
    CAQuietExec:     at Microsoft.DistributedAutomation.EnterpriseSetup.Tools.CMain.Main(String args)
    CAQuietExec:  Trace            : 
    CAQuietExec:  
    CAQuietExec:  Level            : 1
    CAQuietExec:  Error Message    : Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {100202C1-E260-11CF-AE68-00AA004A34D5} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).
    CAQuietExec:  Source           : Boolean IsValidSqlServer(System.String, System.String)
    CAQuietExec:  Inner Exception  : 
    CAQuietExec:  
    CAQuietExec:  --------------END OF ERROR REPORT------------************************************************************

For now I use QFE3, but would like to upgrade to QFE4, because it's newer and has some newe fixes.

Best Regards,

Maria

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:14 PM

Answers

• Could you please follow the steps outlined in our Troubleshooting section of HCK Help, this is the only known cause for the error you are seeing.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn393918.aspx#sqlerror

Error: SQL client components are required for this operation

This error occurs when you attempt to install the full version of HCK (HCK Controller + Studio option), after you first downloaded the HCK product on a separate machine that already has the HCK Studio only option installed.

Workaround: Uninstall the HCK Studio Only version and try downloading and reinstalling the full HCK version again.

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:55 PM

All replies

• Could you please follow the steps outlined in our Troubleshooting section of HCK Help, this is the only known cause for the error you are seeing.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn393918.aspx#sqlerror

Error: SQL client components are required for this operation

This error occurs when you attempt to install the full version of HCK (HCK Controller + Studio option), after you first downloaded the HCK product on a separate machine that already has the HCK Studio only option installed.

Workaround: Uninstall the HCK Studio Only version and try downloading and reinstalling the full HCK version again.

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:55 PM
  • Hello Maria,

After installing QFE003, just try to upgrade the existing controller by running HCKSetup.exe (QFE004) and provide the path of downloaded QFE004 so, it'll upgrade the controller files from folder path instead of downloading.

Thanks,

Mudit

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 5:50 AM
  • Hi Maria,

yesterday, I also did the setup of HCK 2.1 QFE004 on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, it's installed successfully without any issue.

Thanks,

Mudit

Friday, November 22, 2013 3:20 AM
  • Thank you! Actually we downloaded HCK QFE 4 on PC that never had HCK studio/controller installed 2 times. So HCK studio installation is not the case.

However we tried to download again on clean PC with just OS and no other programms ever installed. That worked, now downloaded package works.

Friday, November 22, 2013 12:55 PM
  • Hi Mudit.

We tried upgrade as well, didn't work. After re-downloading package I was able to upgrade.

Thanks.

Maria

Friday, November 22, 2013 12:57 PM
  • By chance did you have Python installed?  We encountered an issue when installing the ActiveState Python 2.6 and Python 2.7 with PyWin32. To solve the problem I searched the registry and deleted everything having anything to do with python(Damn MSI installs leave crap all over the place). I made a batch that removes everything and now it installs everytime. If you want me to share my batch with you let me know.
    Tuesday, June 3, 2014 11:51 PM