Installing VS2008 Express after VS2010 Pro RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install VS 2008 Express on a 64 bit Win 7 machine that has VS 2010 Pro, SP1 installed already. Early in the install I get an error: "Setup.exe has stopped working. ... windows will close the program".   Furthermore in a background window it says: "Setup could not install the following compenent: Runtime Pre-requisites".

This error happens whether I'm installing 2008 express from the web setup or 2008 Pro from the MSDN CD.

Secondarily- how can I find out which component the error is referring to.  "Runtime Pre-requisites" doesn't sound like the name of a particular module.

Besides VS2010 Pro SP1, I have .Net Framework 4.0 Client Profile, Extended and Multi-Targeting Pack installed on this machine.  And SQL Server 2008

I realize similar questions have been asked before, but there was never a clear answer.

Thank you,

Max

• Edited by Max Yaffe Friday, September 21, 2012 4:52 PM
    Friday, September 21, 2012 4:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Max,

For one thing you need to first be aware is that: you can install VS2008 after VS2010 products; however, it is better if you can install earlier versions VS products first.

And to help you further about your issue, I need more detailed installation logs for investigation. Please follow the following steps to collect the installation logs:

1). Re-download the VS2012 Professional installer from Microsoft official site: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/visual-studio-professional-2012
    2). Temporally turn off  your anti-virus/antispyware software.
    3). Clean your %temp% folder and run the installer with Administrator permission.
    4). Use the collect.exe tool to collect the installation logs in the %temp% folder, and upload the vslogs.cab file to the SkyDrive then share me the link.

Also take a look at the event logs in the Event Viewer to see if there is anything useful, if so, also post it here.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, September 24, 2012 3:30 AM
  • Hi Max,

Do you resolve your issue? And I am marking my reply as answer, if you find it no help, please feel free to unmark it and let me know.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Monday, October 1, 2012 1:53 AM
  • Do not mark your answer as YES. 

I am still having a problem install VS 2008.   I tried uninstalling VS 2010 and reinstalling but that didn't work.  I tried the "uninstall tool".  It left "Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component" stuck in my system and I can not uninstall it directly without getting  the error "The product installation has been corrupted. Run setup again from the CD...".   When I try reinstalling Windows 2008 Pro, it hangs with "Failed to install M$ft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component"   and fails to intall anything after that.  So it can't uninstalled and can't be installed.  I'm hosed.

Your advice to clear out the temp directory is bogus.  This always causes more problems since the geniuses at M$ft leave required uninstall files in in the temp directory.

And don't tell me to send in the logs because you and I both know no one is going to read them or if they did, understand them.

What I really want is a VS 2010 Pro and VS2008 C++ Express installed on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.  Can anyone make this happen?   I'll pay money for this.

Thursday, October 4, 2012 3:28 PM
  • Hi Max,

I noticed that you opened one new case: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/92a65d77-6b8a-44d2-89e9-5b01acf54f86 Let's focus on the new one.

Thanks,

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Friday, October 5, 2012 3:12 AM