none
VS 2013 to TFS 2010 Connection and Source Control issues

Question

• I have a TFS project (TFS 2010) that is to be accessed using VS 2013.

The solution in the TFS project was setup in VS 2013 and builds (and runs) just fine.  The solution was added into source control and a Main branch created from this code.

I can open it in VS 2012 and the solution opens (but the build fails - not an issue as we have no plans to actually use VS 2012).

When opening in VS 2013 I receive a couple of dialogs:

The solution you are opening is bound to source control on the following Team Foundation Server http://TFS:8080/tfs/COLLECTION. Would you like to contact this server and try to enable source control integration?

YES/NO/Help

and then (having clicked YES above)

The solution appears to be under source control, but it's binding information cannot be found. Because it is not possible to recover this information automatically, the projects whose bindings are missing will be treated as not under source control.

Looking at the web service requests going out to TFS with Fiddler I can see that VS2013 is trying to call an endpoint such as (for SOAP Action QueryWorkspace):

/tfs/COLLECTION/VersionControl/v4.0/repository.asmx

This request results in an Http 404 - Not Found (this can also be seen in the Output Window of VS 2013).

When opening from VS 2012 I see the endpoint is:

/tfs/COLLECTION/VersionControl/v1.0/repository.asmx

And this works fine, returning a 200 with the data as expected.

In addition to this I cannot connect to the Team project from within Team Explorer - I can see the server, collection and project in the "Connect to TFS" dialog but when I select the project and click OK I get an error dialog:

"Http code 404. Not Found"

So, essentially the same thing - it's getting a 404 from TFS web service, but this time the endpoint is:

/tfs/COLLECTION/Services/v1.0/TeamConfigurationService.asmx (GetTeamConfigurationsForUser Action)

In VS 2012 (and even 2010) I can connect to the TFS project without a problem.  I can connect to the server in 2013 but not the actual projects.

Why are these calls being made from VS 2013 - the compatibility matrix between TFS and TFS Clients published online mentions no issues this way round??

HELP!

Monday, November 25, 2013 2:48 PM

Answers

• Having taken a nice break and come back to this I decided to attach the configs that might be hanging around so deleted all the old cache folders in my local appdata for MS TFS and voila! I can now connect to the project and interact with source control!?

Brute force perhaps but it has worked!

Monday, November 25, 2013 3:19 PM

All replies

• Having taken a nice break and come back to this I decided to attach the configs that might be hanging around so deleted all the old cache folders in my local appdata for MS TFS and voila! I can now connect to the project and interact with source control!?

Brute force perhaps but it has worked!

Monday, November 25, 2013 3:19 PM
  • Hi Sunevnuahs,

Thanks for your post.

And thank you for sharing your experience here.

All your participation and support are very important to build such harmonious/ pleasant / learning environment for MSDN community.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:08 AM