none
Form region replacement 'flattens' Outlook 2013 heading format RRS feed

• Question

• Hi MSDN, newbie to Outlook development here, was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

I'm working on a project to make a very tiny adjustment to Read and Reading Pane views of Message items, but my custom form region destroys Outlook 2013's Message header formatting and quick controls.  I believe other things like 'download pictures', 'always trust messages' are being lostas well. Is there any way to preserve the native formatting and functionality?  Interesting note, the Sender/recipient fields in my custom form region are being picked up by Outlook as objects (hovering over/clicking pulls up the contact card).  Not sure I can add screenshots at this time.  Will try to work on that tomorrow.  hopefully my Ascii art is clear enough...

Original Reading Pane format (similar to Inspector)

[Reply]   [Reply All]   [Forward]  [IM]

__________    Received Date/time

|   Sender     |   Large Sender Display Name

|   Picture     |   <Bold> Subject </Bold>

----------------

To: Recipients

CC: Recipients

....Message body....

Customized Form Region reading pane format

To:      Recipients

CC:     Recipients

....Message body....

My custom form region was created using Outlook 2013 Design This Form > New Form Region > copying components from the "Message" page.  I've tried deploying both as Replacement and Replace All using manual XML/Registry method and VisualStudio.

I'm also open to other suggestions.  Just would like to place a banner between the Subject and Body in Reading Pane and Inspector.

• Edited by DGooose Wednesday, December 16, 2015 12:33 AM Adding Ascii Art
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 12:15 AM

Answers

• Hi DGooose,

Based on my test in outlook 2013, the design form/custom form is different between current form when click Design This Form. I don’t find the field to display picture. That’s why the format is different.

I suggest that you could just custom form region and use form region in the form (Do not custom form).

There are four types of form regions: adjoining, separate, replacement, replace-all. So you could use adjoin form region.

For the way to build form region in VSTO, please refer to Eugene’s reply. For built-in custom form region, please refer to:

# Form Regions

https://msdn.microsoft.com/EN-US/library/office/ff866019.aspx

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, December 18, 2015 2:55 AM

All replies

• Hello,

VSTO allows to create Outlook form regions based on user controls, so you will be able to use any .Net controls. See Creating Outlook Form Regions for more information.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 6:05 PM
  • Sorry this answer isn't very clear to me.

I'm trying to essentially re-create the default Outlook form using a custom form region, designed either in Outlook or VSTO and have it render using the same 'nice' formatting the default Outlook does (Sender photo, bold subject, etc).  Is this possible?

When I use Outlook to create a new Form Region and copy the controls from the default page to my new form region, they copy over with the same properties, but Outlook doesn't interpret them in the same way it does the controls on the default page.

Does anyone know of a way to more closely inspect the built-in Outlook form / form region to see what is different from when you Copy-paste from the default form to a new Form Region?

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 10:07 PM
  • Hi DGooose,

Based on my test in outlook 2013, the design form/custom form is different between current form when click Design This Form. I don’t find the field to display picture. That’s why the format is different.

I suggest that you could just custom form region and use form region in the form (Do not custom form).

There are four types of form regions: adjoining, separate, replacement, replace-all. So you could use adjoin form region.

For the way to build form region in VSTO, please refer to Eugene’s reply. For built-in custom form region, please refer to:

# Form Regions

https://msdn.microsoft.com/EN-US/library/office/ff866019.aspx

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, December 18, 2015 2:55 AM