none
Report Project - Some (fx) expressions not saved in editor

Question

• I have noticed that if I enter an expression in the background and foreground color sections, the expression works, but it is not stored in the editor, so if I open the editor to edit it, the expression is gone.  

EDIT (More info):  I am using VS 2013.  I start a new report project, then create the reports manually (not using the wizard).  I created a report then selected the header row.  I then clicked the 'background color button from the ribbon -  - clicked the 'fx' button to open the expression editor, and entered my expression.  I clicked OK and the background color expression is working (expression changes the background color of the table header row depending on a parameter value).

If I go through the same procedure to open the expression editor again, the expression is not in there, so instead of making a quick edit as needed, I have to retype the entire expression.

Conversely, I have a similar expression in the Report Header "Fill" fx, and it is saved in the editor.

Simon.

• Edited by battlFrog Monday, May 16, 2016 3:12 PM add info.
    Friday, May 13, 2016 6:06 PM

Answers

• Hi teahou,

According to your description, I add a new report with out the wizard and add a table in the report. Then select the table header, click the Background Color button in toolbar to set expression to set color for the header. I get the same result, when I reopen the Choose Color window, the expression I typed before is gone.

I checked this problem in both Visual Studio 2013 and Visual Studio 2015, they all has this issue. I'm afraid that this problem related to Visual Studio itself. I suggest you submit this problem to Visual Studio Connect and share the feedback link here. I will vote it and it also benefit to other communities who has the same problem to vote and add comments. I think the report team experts will treat this issue seriously. Thanks for your feedback for Visual Studio product.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 5:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Simon,

Please tell us which version of Visual Studio are you using and which type of Report Project do you create? We need more detailed steps information to help us reproduce this problem in our side.

I create a default sample Reports Application which is under C# templates -> Reporting tab with my Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 Update 2. After connecting to a database and import some data, it generate a Report1.rdlc[Design] file in my solution.

Then I select one cell in the table on Report1.rdlc designer, no matter I set the background in the properties window directly or set it through the Expression, both of them can save the color value in the editor.

If your Visual Studio version is previous version, please check whether it has installed the latest updates. And you also can tell us which version of Visual Studio do you use, which can help us to check whether this problem related to Visual Studio itself or not.

If misunderstanding, please feel free to let know.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, May 16, 2016 6:01 AM
  • Thanks, please see edits to my original post.
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:37 PM
  • Hi teahou,

According to your description, I add a new report with out the wizard and add a table in the report. Then select the table header, click the Background Color button in toolbar to set expression to set color for the header. I get the same result, when I reopen the Choose Color window, the expression I typed before is gone.

I checked this problem in both Visual Studio 2013 and Visual Studio 2015, they all has this issue. I'm afraid that this problem related to Visual Studio itself. I suggest you submit this problem to Visual Studio Connect and share the feedback link here. I will vote it and it also benefit to other communities who has the same problem to vote and add comments. I think the report team experts will treat this issue seriously. Thanks for your feedback for Visual Studio product.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 5:54 AM
  • Thank you Weiwei.  I tried to submit the bug, but the website is down (I think that is called irony).  I will try again later.  Thank you.

Simon.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 2:57 PM
  • Hi teahou,

Thanks for your response.

After submitting the bug, please share the feedback link here. I will vote it. Thanks for your feedback again.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, May 19, 2016 3:21 AM