Value too large to fit an output column RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    I'm trying to use foreach loop container to load xml files with one xsd file in same folder, I can load only first file and after package is failing with message: "The value was too large to fit in the output column..."
    Wondering what is wrong... In foreach loop container I provided folder, type of file to load, specified variable mappings, in data flow task I'm using xml source, data access mode xml file from variable(which is mapped in foreach loop..)..
    Please, help..
    Thx,
    Vlad.
    • Split by Bob Bojanic Thursday, January 22, 2009 6:29 PM unrelated
    Monday, January 19, 2009 10:20 PM

Answers

• As a side note, the DT_STR has a hard limit of 8000 characters, and DT_WSTR has a limit of 4000.  These are important in that often xml files have the text fields treated as NTEXT or CLOB in that they have no hard size limit.  That would be the first thing I look at, although it is certainly possible that it is another of your columns that is overflowing the specified container.
    Please mark answered posts. Thanks for your time.
    • Marked as answer by Tony Tang_YJ Wednesday, January 28, 2009 6:26 AM
    Monday, January 26, 2009 1:37 PM

All replies

• can you provide your package so that I can investigate the issue more deeply? Only one sentence "The value was too large to fit in the output column..." is not enough.
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 3:17 AM
  • Hi,

The variable that you are assigning your values to in your loop may have a datatype that is too small to store what is being read in.  Try using a larger datatype.

Cheers
    Jeff

SQL Server MVP / WARDY IT Solutions, Solutions Architect
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 3:24 AM
  • As a side note, the DT_STR has a hard limit of 8000 characters, and DT_WSTR has a limit of 4000.  These are important in that often xml files have the text fields treated as NTEXT or CLOB in that they have no hard size limit.  That would be the first thing I look at, although it is certainly possible that it is another of your columns that is overflowing the specified container.
    Please mark answered posts. Thanks for your time.
    • Marked as answer by Tony Tang_YJ Wednesday, January 28, 2009 6:26 AM
    Monday, January 26, 2009 1:37 PM