none
Azure Function may take up to 15 seconds to execute RRS feed

• Question

• We're observing abnormally long execution times for our functions in FunctionApp service. Sometimes function may take up to 15 seconds just to start/initialize (this number is calculated as the difference in timestamps between "Executing 'Functions.XYZ'" message and first log message that our code is producing). Of course, such high latency is not constant, and most of the requests doesn't produce such big latency (at least, if we take into the account only the timestamp difference specified above).

We are using Linux-based App Service Plan (B3), with functions deployed in docker containers.

Is it possible to check logs on your side, to understand why there is a delay happening during function start?

Details of one of such execution :

FunctionExecutionTimeMs: 15128.2646
    HostInstanceId: b585dfbf-4fe9-4ec3-a333-4abac9da009e
    InvocationId: 43385b43-c41c-45c8-8851-5a583cd02f60
    Cloud role instance: ef3de0f4cd17f8e9f7d2fa3d3db2dfb16b68de461929f7c4880cf75c0d094a4e
    SDK version azurefunctions: 2.0.12562.0

Please let me know if you need any other details.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 3:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Sergii Korochkin - It might be better to open a support case to troubleshoot this issue together with a service engineer who has deeper insight to your environment. Does your subscription carry a support plan? If not, just let us know as we're able to grant you a one-time free support case to resolve this issue. You can email us at azcommunity at microsoft dotcom (be sure to include your subscription ID as well as the URL of this thread in your email). 

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 11:02 PM
  • Hi Sergi,

Can you share the region as well in which function app is deployed. Also provide the following information so that we can investigate from back end.

- Function App name
    - Function name(s) (as appropriate)
    - Region

If you don't want to give your function app name, you can do so privately.

https://github.com/Azure/azure-functions-host/wiki/Sharing-Your-Function-App-name-privately

Thursday, July 18, 2019 3:51 AM
  • Hi Mike. Yes, I will definitely create a support request - but that will take a while, since I don't yet have enough permissions to create support requests yet. That's why (while I'm waiting for appropriate permissions) I'm asking for your help here :)
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 10:15 AM
  • Hi Sergii,

Can you please provide the information I have asked in the initial comment.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 11:04 AM