none
How can I change "+ New Item" in a custom list RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have several custom lists and in some cases being able to change the text above the list " + new item" to a different text to make it more logical for users is needed. Currently I need to change it to "Create New Access Request". I have read a lot of blogs and posts here, but they all have one problem, they assume the person asking the question has years of programming in SharePoint. I have tried using Content Editors and SharePoint Designer but in each case it seems I am missing something that I know has to be experience knowledge. Does anyone have a process that they can share, that is step by step?

Thanks. Newbie Joel

Thursday, January 12, 2017 3:33 PM

All replies

• One way you can achieve is by injecting the script on the page.

Follow the article below for Step by Step instructions. Since you are using SharePoint 2013, scroll all the way down on the page and you will see snippet for SharePoint 2013. 

http://www.sharepointdiary.com/2013/02/change-add-new-item-link-text.html

Also use Script Editor web Part instead of Content Editor web part. Steps to add Script Editor web part remains the same as adding Content Editor. i.e. Edit Page --> Click Add a Web Part link on the page --> This will open add web part section in the Ribbon. -->  Scroll down on the categories until you see Media and Content --> Click on it --> Select Script Editor Web Part --> Click ADD button at the bottom right corner.

Amit

Thursday, January 12, 2017 3:44 PM
  • Amit,

Thanks. I figured out the Script Editor vs Content Editor, but the code was still giving me issues. One things was, I could see "+new item" appear and then be replaced with "Create New Access Request". I found another piece of code that seems to work cleaner, though being a novice, not sure if it is as efficient. Also, for anyone trying this after me, you do have to add the Script Editor snippet to each view you want to change.

SharePoint 2013 Script Editor Snippet:

<script type="text/javascript">
     $(document).ready(function() {
     $("#idHomePageNewItem").text('Create New Access Request');
      });
    </script>

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 8:39 PM