Initial Setup Issues: Visual Studio 2008 and SQL Server 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone,

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, new to this. Anyway...

I made the bright decision to upgrade from SQL Server express and Web developer express to Visual Studio 2008. People have been telling me great things and I thought hey, why not. I backed up all my databases and my websites just in case and then uninstalled everything dealing with web developer express and sql server express (clean install idea other than deleting stuff in the registry etc.). Then I put in my lovely 2008 dvd and installed everything. This all worked.

What did not work appearntly is the connection from Visual Studio 2008 to SQL Server 2005. I opened Visual Studio and whent to the server explorer. I'm assuming under Servers->Desktop there should be another object called SQL Server but its not there. All I have are Crystal Reports, event logs, managment classes, events, message queues, preformance counter and services. No SQL Server.

How am I supposed to create new logins for my SQL server? Did I do something wrong in my installation? Help haha?

The weird part is, if i click on Data connections and say create a new database, using desktop\sqlexpress i can create databases all I want! So everything is installed, the connection between VS 2008 and SQL 2005 just isn't there or something.
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008 6:06 PM

Answers

• Hey everyone,
    I'm guessing the simple answer is that SQL server 2005 is not bundled with Visual Studio 2005 and therefore will not show up in visual studio because VS installs the express version, not the full.
    Friday, May 16, 2008 5:27 PM

All replies

• Wrong forum.. Moving

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 7:44 PM
  • Hey everyone,
    I'm guessing the simple answer is that SQL server 2005 is not bundled with Visual Studio 2005 and therefore will not show up in visual studio because VS installs the express version, not the full.
    Friday, May 16, 2008 5:27 PM