TFS Binary File Merging RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to enable binary file merging for a specific filetype?

Not a specific extension, it appears that TFS does a dry merge prior to displaying merge options and ports the output - if it encounters a binary file, I assume it considers it hopeless and just disables the "Merge Changes in Merge Tool" and "Auto Merge" options.

(I have a utility to merge the custom binary file that I'm dealing with, I simply wanted to integrate it)

Thursday, May 24, 2012 2:40 PM

Answers

• Brad, that's the comparison button - it doesn't allow you to an actual merge, just compare. While you can modify your local file with that, it doesn't pass you merge parameters (Original, Yours, Theirs, Result file) and therefore doesn't unflag the merge conflict.

I think the only way I'm going to be able to resolve this is to build a plugin. Thanks all.

• Marked as answer by Survias Monday, June 11, 2012 4:47 PM
    Monday, June 11, 2012 4:46 PM

All replies

• The default merge tool in VS can be changed by using the instructions here, http://geekswithblogs.net/TarunArora/archive/2011/07/23/how-to-change-compare-merge-tool-in-tfs.aspx Also a very helpful post on all available merge tools, http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jmanning/archive/2006/02/20/diff-merge-configuration-in-team-foundation-common-command-and-argument-values.aspx

AFAIK it is not possible to merge the binary files in any way using the existing merge tool. Leaving it open for others to confirm.

HTH

Cheers, Tarun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Tarun Arora

Blog: http://geekswithblogs.net/TarunArora  Subscribe in a reader

Thursday, May 24, 2012 2:56 PM
  • Thanks Tarun

I think you answered inadvertantly, but just to be clear, the scenario is not with the User Tools options.

When merging a binary file (I changed the extension to .TXT to illustrate that it isn't an extension issue):

When merging a text file:

In order to use the User Tools options I'll need to have the "Merge Changes in Merge Tool" option handy - is there any way around Microsoft's existing merge tool read?

Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:25 PM
  • Do you mean you want binary file could be merged to tex file?

Thanks,

Monday, May 28, 2012 1:38 AM
  • The utility I have does all the merging work necessary. I just want to get around the IDE implementation that doesn't permit file merging on conflict if the IDE can't merge the files.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 12:14 PM
  • Hi!

I have same issue. If I merge files (on example ms word) and configure another tool for merge - merge conflict panel do not show "merge changes in merge tool" button even if merge option are configured on source control option for this file type.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 5:53 AM
  • Hi Survias,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:15 AM
  • Assuming you have your tool configured, I think you will see the icon highlighted in yellow that show allow you to merge.

Thanks,

Brad

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Monday, June 4, 2012 7:09 PM
  • Yes, another person here with this complaint. I have a tool that can be used to merge conflicts on my binary file type. But there's just no way it seems to get TFS to even take a merged file created externally to the merge process. My tool does't support command line arguments so I wouldn't even be able to use it via Visual Studio merge conflict resolution dialogue screen.

If you're interested then here's my issue: -

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10311036/how-do-i-manually-resolve-conflicts-and-mark-them-as-resolve-when-using-tfs

I was amazed this is missing from TFS.

Thursday, June 7, 2012 8:04 PM
  • Brad, that's the comparison button - it doesn't allow you to an actual merge, just compare. While you can modify your local file with that, it doesn't pass you merge parameters (Original, Yours, Theirs, Result file) and therefore doesn't unflag the merge conflict.

I think the only way I'm going to be able to resolve this is to build a plugin. Thanks all.

• Marked as answer by Survias Monday, June 11, 2012 4:47 PM
    Monday, June 11, 2012 4:46 PM