none
some assemblies are mapped twice..... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have noticed using the ProcXP (VMMap) that some ASP.NET applications (.NET 4)
    load (maps?) some assemblies twice or more.

I use VS 2010 (W7 x64), with the AnyCPU option and tested in 2008 R2 x64 server....the apps are both complied with release/debug options, the result it's the same.

This "problem" can be build with any "blank" (read default) ASP.NET application.

here some examples:

ProcXP images

Could anyone let me know why the assembly are mapped twice (or more), there is a reason ???

PS

if you need,  I can provide the blank/default application sample :).

Thx

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 6:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Flauzer,

>>Could anyone let me know why the assembly are mapped twice (or more), there is a reason ???

I download this tool and use to test it with one if my console application, and it just performs what you describes, some assemblies are mapped twice. However, I notice that although the assembly mapped twice has same name, description and others, their columns as base, size and others are different, my guess is that the query logic is similar with the select syntax in database, if there is any column which is different from others, then this record would be treated as a separated one.

I am not sure if my guess is right or not since I am not know how this tool works inside, I would suggest that you could connect with its author Mark Russinovich to confirm this.

Best Regards,

Fred.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 3:23 AM
  • Hi, my question was a matter of what happens in the Win memory ....

The things I found:

* are relocated dlls (read rebasing)
    * Image Type is 32 bit.
    * this problem is visible only in x64 systems (not in x32 world).

I tried to write to Russinovich in his blog, I am still hopeful, but some blogs experience has made me pessimistic...It would be great if you had some other "channel" preferential, I would be grateful.

Thanks Fred

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:37 PM
  • Hello Flauzer,

>> Hi, my question was  a matter of what happens in the Win memory ....

I am not quite sure if you want to know how dll is loaded to memory, if so, this article would be helpful:

http://www.joachim-bauch.de/tutorials/loading-a-dll-from-memory/

And I find that there is a specific forum which is created in 1996 by Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell for this tool, if you issue is more related with this tool, I would suggest that you could post issues to:

http://forum.sysinternals.com/process-explorer_forum2.html

And there is a similar thread shows that one of the entries is indicated to be memory mapped.

If I misunderstand, please let me know.

Best Regards.

Fred.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, August 28, 2014 7:37 AM
  • Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:12 AM
  • Hello,

Oh, it seems to be that.

And thanks for sharing the information with us, it will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Regards.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 8:09 AM